On Tue, 1 Oct 2002, Keith Addison wrote:

> Now what does all that remind me of? Weak. If there were a smoking
> gun we'd definitely know all about it beyond any doubt. Just oil. And
> politics. The two hopelessly confused as ever, when it comes to the
> US.

I agree with you about oil and politics being hopelessly intertwined, and
that oil (along with political gain) does have too much to do with our
current motivation towards going after Iraq. But, there ARE other valid
reasons as well. Do you know anyone from Iraq? I work with a physicist who
fled Iraq with his family years ago to escape. He, along with many other
Iraqis, want Saddam ousted from power, and a true democratic government
established. His regime is a regime of terror - not only threatening
Israel and the US, but also neighboring countries, and killing large
numbers of people within Iraq because of their ethnicity, religion, or
just to test some weapons.

If Germany had large oil reserves, then back in 1941 would you have been
saying that we shouldn't get involved militarily in what was going on in
Europe, because our motivation must be based strictly on oil, since there
is oil there?

The fact is, some people are just plain evil (malicious, egocentric, and
dangerous).

Personally, I don't think our first priority right now should be going
after Saddam. It should be securing the cold war era nukes and fissionable
material (that are relatively poorly guarded) in the countries of the
former Soviet Union, to try to prevent the MANY countries/organizations
that want to get their hands on it from doing so. We should help Russia
and the other countries build their economies, in exchange for letting us
glassify all the fissionable material that's just sitting around.

Mike
Michael S. Briggs               "Never judge a man until you've
UNH Physics Department          walked a mile in his shoes. Then
(603) 862-2828                  when you do judge him, you'll be
                                a mile away and you'll have
                                his shoes."

> Keith

Sell a Home for Top $