>So, no problem producing the crops for ethanol, SVO or biodiesel, and
>the entire operation can easily be powered on biofuels or
>by-products. That would include such integrated prodedures as using
>the DDG from ethanol production as livestock feed, the livestock
>manure producing biogas for process heat, the residue subjected to
>aerobic composting for recycling to the soil - with the aerobic
>composting a constant and free source of heat for hot water (60 deg
>C+), also useful for process heat. Burning glyc (safely) and
>recovered FFAs offer further such options. Easy.

Ok, so the use of non-"sustainable" fossil fuels can be eliminated from
fertilizer and the like, and with a better integrated system, sustainable
biofuels could be used in the machines which are used in the production of the
bioproducts used to make biofuels.

I think I've always assumed that this was possible, and not that much of an
issue (never mind the Cornell Professors of the world), but I must admit that
what I do question would be to get a handle, down the road, as to how *much*
fuel this whole system could sustain over a very long period of time, in
conjunction with healthy sustainable food production.  As a matter of degree,
the concepts of sustainable healthy agriculture making both food and fuels...
how big of an economy can they serve?

There are several important concerns here, not least of which is avoiding
setting us all up for a bit of starvation.  I do not mean to imply that I've
calculated that it would lead to that.  I mean only that it seems logical to me
to give consideration to these matters.

Now, you may have given consideration to these matters to the nth degree,
publicly and privately, and be weary of it, but anyway:

I really honestly do regret lashing out at Todd that way, now that I realize he
had something different in mind.  But to take an additional lesson from it: he
was attempting to express weariness with going over the same topics over and
over again.  Ok, so that's something you've also alluded to in your own way, say
when someone asks you to repeat yourself, where a topic has been covered several
times recently or in easily accessible archives.

And it is in the nature of these forums of our day that, perhaps since archives
can be somewhat laborious, and perhaps also to human-nature-laziness and perhaps
just due to the need to continually chew things over, we go over and over
certain things, perhaps making some different points each time.

What I want to add here is that I was thinking about your Sierra Club
observations, and about the enlightening things I've learned recently about the
energy efficiency advantages of diesel-engine processes, and I think for better
or worse, it is in the nature of these public debates that progress can really
depend not only on being right, or partly right, but on going over things again
and again until the point connects with enough targets.

I've communicated with and dealt with activists who were mature enough to
disagree with me about this or that and yet maintain the conversation over the
years until we could, by reasoning things out, both decide who might have the
better side of it.  And I'd bet some work that the Sierra Club folks, or folks
similar to them on what is apparently the wrong side of the diesel debate, have
not quite gotten what has been said about diesel, and *bio*-diesel.

Part of this is I think perhaps due to the subtlety of the argument that one
needs put into place engine technologies that inherently can give consumers the
power to choose nonfossil fuels for the first time in a century choice (diesel
leading to choosing diesel or biodiesel, batteries leading to choosing different
derivations of electricity, some hybrids leading to a variety of choices).  And
part of this is simply that they haven't given much thought at all to Diesel
issues.  And part of this is that they have some legitimate points to make about
the CO2 emissions when taken before the "net" considerations we discussed above.

But overall, I think there's some "ripe" room there for them to be somewhat
swayed, given a bit more lobbying, just as I have been.

This is not to say an expert technician like Todd or whoever need weary himself
over-much with going over and over things, since that may not be their bag.  But
those who are more on the politico-economic side of things will I guess continue
to run into this work that needs doing, even if it is understandable that some
of them are just sick of it and won't do it.  I do think that given a bit more
intellectual ammo, Kerry might continue to try to come through, to the best of
his abilities.

As for Dingle, he does what Detroit, particularly Union Leaders and Auto
Industry Lobbyists, tells him to do, in my opinion, without deviation.

As for the auto executives, .... now I am the one who is weary.... not from
repetitiveness exactly, but when the topic at hand involves analyzing folks
whose logic and thinking is particularly complex and mixed and twisted, it can
be so hard to go around in their circles, try to see their various points of
view, analyze their behaviour collectively and individually, etc.

I know, a corporation is not an indivdual human being.  I deal with both, (not a
paid job.... just the windmill I've chosen to hang around and shake my fist at),
and they're both a handfull.

I don't know if there's a "conspiracy" to keep some of the better technologies
off the roads.  I entertain different hypotheses to explain the behaviours I
observe, and I guess the conspiracy-of-collective-contradictory-stupidity
hypothesis probably helps me explain more than the "smoking-man bad-guy" idea of
some guy or guys sitting around deliberatley laughingly keeping some
technologies off the market.  But maybe not.  I don't know.  I think the reasons
that what are arguably the best technologies don't reach the marketplace are in
some ways complex, and I'll leave it at that for now.

Home Selling? Try Us!
http://us.click.yahoo.com/QrPZMC/iTmEAA/MVfIAA/FGYolB/TM