Hi Kirk

>The corn offered was Starlink which is not approved for human consumption in
>US. There is a glut of it since they can't sell much of it and if humans in
>Africa eat it, oh well. Not against our laws. So for "Americans" to pretend
>this was an altruistic act it shows what sons of Belial they really are.
>Just like the sons of Belial that created it.
>Animals that eat it demonstrate impaired immune function.
>
>http://216.239.53.100/search?q=cache:EaWGcsULhu0C:ens.lycos.com/ens/aug2001/
>2001L-08-08-03.html+starlink+corn&hl=en&ie=UTF-8
>StarLink corn, a variety genetically engineered to produce its own
>pesticide, is not approved for human consumption because it may be a human
>food allergen. Last year, the nonprofit Genetically Engineered Food Alert
>showed that StarLink had contaminated the human food supply, forcing the
>recall of more than 300 food products and costing farmers, food processors
>and the grain industry millions of dollars in lost profit.
>
>If there was any justice the Frankenfood creators would be ordered to pay
>the losses.
>After all it is their creation and it is loose.

The Zambian, Zimbabwean, Mozambican objections were quite reasonable
- even those of Mugabe (Zimbabwe, not Zambia), who is not a
reasonable man.

"Countries ranging from Zambia and Zimbabwe to Mozambique refused to
accept the controversial genetically mutated foods.

"Zambia's president, Levy Mwanawasa, expressed health concerns about
genetically engineered foods. He was also worried that if genetically
engineered corn kernels are distributed to his people, farmers will
use some of the altered kernels to grow new corn. If that happens,
cross-contamination issues may make it much more difficult for Zambia
to export corn to the European Union, which requires labeling of
biotech products.

"African nations also worry that the corn may be contaminated with
StarLink genetically engineered corn, which hasn't been approved for
human consumption."

But they were bullied into it anyway.

Vanishingly little US corn goes to feed people in hungry countries,
virtually all of what's exported goes to the rich countries for use
as livestock feed - see "US grain exports":
http://journeytoforever.org/biofuel_food.html
Biofuels - Food or Fuel?

If anyone's bothered about the apparent contradiction of Mwanawasa
being bothered about food exports when his country's in the middle of
a famine, please note that the US is the world's biggest-ever food
IMPORTER, closely followed by the EU, and much of the imported food
comes from poor countries. These exports have often continued through
local famines, there's seldom any choice in the matter. That's how
"free trade" works - free in the sense that, for instance, poorer
countries are forced to remove agricultural subsidies and trade
barriers, while the rich countries do no such thing.

Holland, for instance, imports vast amounts of cattle feed from Third
World countries, the production from prime land totalling about five
times the size of Holland. Arguably this land should be growing food
for local people, but again there's not much choice. Meanwhile
Holland adds to the EU dairy surplus, and uses much of its own land
to grow tulips for the flower market. Very sane, rational, humane
system, yes. I'm not picking on Holland particularly, it's just a
typical case.

"We've established modernized farms in Zambia so they can produce
larger amounts of food locally (as well as giving them genetically
engineered crops so they can grow more food per acre), and clearly
you don't feel that's the right thing to do," says Mr Briggs.
Ignorant BS. Nor is there ANY evidence that GE crops produce more
"food" per acre, generally yields have been the same or lower, costs
higher.

"If anyone tells you that GM is going to feed the world," Steve
Smith, a director of the world's biggest biotechnology company,
Novartis, insisted, "tell them that it is not... To feed the world
takes political and financial will -- it's not about production and
distribution."
http://www.guardian.co.uk/Archive/Article/0,4273,4054683,00.html

Rare honesty indeed.

Keith