A little light reading on a bigger picture that may make BD a LITTLE more
important.

THE INTERNATIONAL FORECASTER 26, October 2002 (#4)

An international financial, economic, political and
social commentary.
Robert Chapman, Editor Vol. 6- No. 10- 4 ( 53pgs.)
Phone & Fax: 941 639 4756

E-mail: [EMAIL PROTECTED] or [EMAIL PROTECTED]

Sunday, October 20th, Bob Chapman was a guest on the
Stirling Faux Show on the Corus Radio Network in
Canada. You can listen to this program on the Internet
by going to www.howestreet.com. This interview will
remain on this site until we do another one.

US MARKETS.

George W. Bush is deceiving the American people in
order to wage war on Iraq, just as his father did when
he invaded Panama. The administration is engaged in a
massive disinformation campaign. The administration
has proven no charges against Saddam Hussein. He
attacks Iran and we supported him with supply
biochemical agents, which he used against Iran after
Iran used them against him. He attached Kuwait after
our state department told him he could do so, and then
we attacked him. He has not attacked another country
in 10 years, nor has he been involved in any act of
terrorism. Suspecting he has weapons of mass
destruction does not prove he has them. He has filled
most of the UN resolutions and even if he fulfilled
them all, our President has told us he is going to
overthrow him anyway. This information is fact yet our
members of congress ignore it and have given Mr. Bush
power to do exactly as he pleases. This isn't
irresponsible it's criminal. Saddam Hussein may be a
bad dictator, but it is a bad government that lies to
its own people. If the criteria for invasion is he is
preparing weapons of mass destruction, why don't we
attack North Korea, which has admitted they are close
to having operable weapons of mass destruction?

Social Security recipients will receive the smallest
increase in their benefit checks in four years in
January, a pitiful 1.4% rise that translates into
$13.00 a month. That will be offset by another
increase in the monthly Medicare premium of $14.70 to
$58.70.

Retirees don't buy many things, they buy services and
services costs have not come down as quickly as goods
costs, so many will not be able to pay their bills.
This comes as many have taken horrendous losses in
their stock portfolios. Many 401(K)'s have lost 50-70%
of their value. Worse than that certificates and bonds
that paid four to nine percent now pay one to four
percent, cutting income of the most conservative
senior saver. On top of that medical costs are soaring
and most don't have drug coverage. A terrible state of
affairs. Those of you who are veterans we advise you
to register with the Veterans Administration. You can
get prescriptions for $7.00 and the care has improved
markedly in most locations.

Another American institution is shipping its
production overseas. The nation's last major shirt
plant, C.F. Hathaway, in business for 165 years, will
close and fire 235 workers in Waterville, Maine. This
is a staggering economic blow to the area after having
lost G.H. Bass and Cole Haan, which shut down in
1998-99 and the Dexter shoe plant that closed late
last year putting 475 people out of work. You are
watching the destruction of our entire manufacturing
base and the demise of the American economy by elitist
transnational corporations.

It started out as a done deal but because of outraged
public opinion Napoleon Bush's plan for an invasion of
Iraq and its occupation is running into stiff
resistance. Just about every nation in the world with
the exception of England is hoping Mr. Bush will make
a mistake, lose popularity and lose support for his
insane war ambitions. Every time we think about his
escapades we can't help but think of Caligula. In Mr.
Bush's quest for power and approval, the
administration has arrogantly and shamelessly again
run the Dow up over 1,000 points in a week. He must
think people are stupid. Even cab drivers are talking
about a rigged market. The public is catching on. They
are beginning to realize their sons and daughters are
going to be murdered so the Bush crime family and the
elitists can steal Iraq's oil. You don't see it in the
US media but the world public is overwhelmingly
against an invasion of Iraq. There is now no question,
as we have said for a year, that oil is what this is
all about. Elitists' oil interests, once in control of
Iraq's oil will break OPEC and drive oil prices down
to $12 to $15 a barrel. This may help basic individual
costs but it will also expedite deflation and
depression. That means new wars will have to be
created in order to occupy the people and make the
specter of death far more important than economic and
social problems. One distinct possibility after Iraq,
then Iran, is Russia and China. A $15 a barrel oil
price will cost Russia dearly. It will totally wipe
out any current account surplus they might have had.
In addition Russia and France will have some of their
oil interests abrogated if Napoleon Bush conquers
Iraq. Now that America has vanquished fourth world
Afghanistan, the World Bank is in Kabul with our tax
dollars financing elitists' transnational business
deals. On another note, Prince Saud has again
withdrawn support for the coming US war after a
report, which we reported on two weeks ago, by the
CFR, which blames the Saudis' for financing terrorism,
which certainly takes the gloves off. The CFR
investigation was directed by top CFR officials and
former CIA operative Maurice Greenberg of AIG. This is
the same AIG-Greenberg involved in money laundering
for over 50 years for the CIA and their narcotics
operations. The main supplier in the 1980's and 90's
was Carlos Lehder, who was sentenced to life and
somehow miraculously was released from jail, so he
could live the good life in Nassau. AIG has employed
Mr. Lehder's wife recently, what a coincidence. Carlos
ran drugs for George H. W. Bush and Iran Contra along
with Barry Seal. One way or another Saudi Arabia is
going down probably through internal insurrection. The
Bush's and the oil cartel want to control the oil and
Greenberg and Israel want Saudi and Iraq out of the
way for obvious reasons. Iraq and Saudi would give US
and UK oil interests control of 35-40% of the world's
oil. They would then leave no stone unturned to take
out Hugo Chavez in Venezuela, giving them even more
power and control and breaking up OPEC at the same
time. A major justification by Mr. Bush for an Iraq
invasion was Saddam who was on the verge of having
nuclear weapons, yet so is North Korea. Why isn't
North Korea being invaded? Is it because pipelines
pass through North Korea? We may yet be able to stop
the invasion of Iraq but the possibility is remote.
The elitists have bought 98% of congress and 100% of
the UN. They'll do what they want to do and it will
end up a catastrophe. We believe that even if they
have their way there will be an enormous backlash from
not only Americans but also the world at large and
that outrage could bring the elitists down.

We started to zero in on under-funded pension plans
three years ago and the situation has gotten much
worse in the interim. AMR is under-funded by 601%,
Delta 353%, Goodyear 142%, General Motors 137%,
McDermott Int. 134%, Delphi 88%, Navistar 88% and Ford
87% and it goes on and on. Listen to this, AMR is
under-funded by $3.367 billion and their current stock
market value is $500 million, Delta $4.376 billion to
$1,240 billion, Goodyear $1.965 to $1.386 billion, Gm
$29,428 billion to $21,421 billion, etc. You talk
about a time bomb. A Dow at 4,500 will bankrupt these
companies and many more so now you can well understand
why "The Working Group on Financial Markets," the
Plunge Protection Team is pulling out all stops to
keep the stock market from falling lower. Of the 500
S&P companies of the 360 with defined benefit plans
240 are under-funded, the highest level in 10 years.
Next year that figure could well be 360 and don't
forget to pay the pensions, that money has to come
from operating profit, which means less earnings. It
could also mean bankruptcy. If the market goes to the
lower levels that we anticipate, we believe beside the
gold price explosion, this could be the major issue in
the headlines. We have over $300 billion of
pension-fund deficits in 2002 for S&P 500 companies.
These companies have to produce this money over the
next few years. For the year 1999, 2000 and 2001
pension-fund assets lost $80 billion. At the same time
pension obligations grew by $170 billion. Most fund
estimates were based on a 7.5% return on investment.
We believe that will soon be cut to about 5%, which
means they are far deeper in the hole than they or
their retirees realize. Many companies had basic
assumptions on eight to nine and one-half percent
returns. These pension liabilities could bankrupt the
nation. This and the gold crisis will turn the world
financial system upside down. In the coming
environment a five percent return is dicey. Safe
10-year Treasury notes could give you four percent and
the market zero or less. Worse, even though
pension-fund assets lost $90 billion in 2001, they
showed an increase of $104 billion through the use of
Mickey Mouse bookkeeping. Furthermore, pension-fund
liabilities are off-balance sheet liabilities. How's
that for stealth?

We now hear the propaganda machine telling us of the
war dividend. We've never heard anything so stupid.
Next we'll hear that Hannibal Lector was a benevolent
killer. We hear of how stocks go up during wars. That
has been true, but were the wars held at times when
the world financial system was on the verge of
collapse? No, that was never the situation. We were
close in 1938, not having recovered from the
depression, but the system had held on for almost 10
years. Don't be misled this time, it is different and
it's not a good different. A point to remember is that
stock valuations remain higher than at any earlier
bear market bottom and that the current market has
shown a knack for breaking what once seemed to be
immutable market verities, even with the assistance of
our government.

It looks like the rally in Treasuries has run its
course. The yield has run from 3.59% to 4.26% in just
a week. The bubble has been broken. From the beginning
of 2000 through this month Treasuries have
outperformed the S&P 500 by 77.24%. A good part of the
move in treasuries was due to complex Treasury and
Mortgage-backed securities trades known as "converity
trades." Mortgages comprise $4.3 trillion of the $19
trillion US credit market. As of late, holders of MBS
and asset-backed securities experienced huge losses,
some as high as 50% or more. This was caused by
unprecedented, accelerated mortgage prepayments
triggered by historically low-interest rates. Of
course Treasuries are supposed to go up when the
market goes down and vice-versa, but both the rally in
the market of over 1,000 points in a week and a loss
of 61 basis points is very extraordinary. Treasuries
have been benefiting from a flight from corporate
issues due to increasing credit risk. The Merrill
Lynch High-Yield Master II Index, which hit a record
10.97% over comparable Treasuries on 10/10, closed the
week at 10.41%. Evidently the FED has some new wrinkle
up its sleeve the professionals know about. Perhaps
it's a 25% rate cut, although such a rate cut would
have sent yields lower not higher. We think the FED
does not want to ease and ran the market up to force
yields higher. Be that as it may, it's confusing when
you are not on the inside, but we can say the market
rally should be peaking out soon; as well as the
dollar rally. The best has past and now it's let's go
the other way with a market correction and a drop in
rates, which will accompany a lower dollar and higher
gold prices.

Few politicians ever tell the truth and this was again
unfortunately borne out by the Bush administration.
Several senators said through their aides that Defense
Secretary Rumsfeld did not mention North Korea's
covert nuclear weapons program during a classified
briefing held in a secure chamber less than three
hours before two senior administration officials
revealed the news in a conference call with four
reporters. The information had been available 12 days
earlier. Congress passed the Iraq resolution and Mr.
Bush signed it hours before the 7pm disclosure about
North Korea. The question really is why are we not
attacking North Korea?" The answer was "the President
is disciplined and focused and he has made a
determination that Iraq is a serious threat that needs
to be dealt with immediately. Nothing has changed to
alter that determination." We'd say he's very narrowly
focused. Again the congress and the American people
have been deceived.

Rumors abound regarding downgrades at Merrill Lynch,
Goldman Sachs and Morgan Stanley among others. If that
happens, great pressure will be put on counter-party
risk. We'd imagine some companies and governments
would be forbidden with these downgrades to execute
future business with these firms and perhaps wind up
current derivative positions.

We have no independent verification of the following
from alternative sources, but we thought it best to
pass on the following. It seems the BATF is calling
and approaching citizens whose records, form 4477,
have been pulled from local gun dealers in Maryland
and demanding they turn over their rifles for
inspection. Of course, if any agency gets possession
of your weapons you seldom get them back again.
Usually only by court order by a federal judge. We
know, we've been there. Evidently some 5,000 weapons
have been taken in for "testing" and attorney's phones
are ringing off the hook. As usual the BATF agents are
being as nasty as possible. If you are approached by
the BATF have your attorney handle it. If you give
them your weapons you may never see them again or they
may be returned in an altered state. This, if true, is
another example of a police state Gestapo.

New York City is deeper in trouble than we previously
reported. Police are told not to arrest suspects, even
violent offenders, in the last three hours of their
tour to get off the clock faster. Doctors and nurses
at municipal hospitals are begging patients' families
for help in performance of vital tasks. Due to
curtailed sanitation pickups doormen are taking
garbage to landfills in New Jersey. The budget gap has
swollen to $6 billion, the largest deficit in history.
The state will be underwater $12 billion next year and
taxes in New York are already unbelievable. Taxes,
fees, fines, tolls and citations are going up in cost
and municipal services are being cut back again. MTA
rates go to $2 a ride, up a 50-cent increase, as the
MTA has a deficit of $663 million. Terrorists and the
collapse of Wall Street, skyrocketing pension costs,
the erosion of confidence in publicly traded
corporations and the legacy of former Mayor Rudolph
Giuliani are besieging NYC residents. The problems
were also caused by a $3 billion loss of direct tax
revenues to 9/11 and its fallout and a loss of
146,0000 jobs, which cost $17 billion in lost wages.
Wall Street profits that were $21 billion in 2000 will
be $12.8 billion this year. That means no bonuses,
less taxes paid and less buying by consumers. Mayor
Giuliani used $2.5 billion of a $2.8 billion surplus
to pay operating costs. He deliberately wiped out the
city's reserve. In the second quarter the city's
income fell 1.3% and unemployment in NYC hit 7.9%. Of
the $21.4 billion promised by the Feds only $2.7
billion has been released. What are we looking at?
Well, based on the 1970's debacle in NYC over 30
months 63,828 municipal workers were laid off,
including 3,390 cops, 879 firefighters, 10,800
teachers and 4,000 hospital workers and this time it's
much worse. A 10% increase in property taxes will
bring in $1 billion annually, 10% state tax surcharge
$583 million and a .45% levy on income of suburbanites
who go to the city for work, would raise $490 million
a year. That's $2,073 billion. That means $4 billion
in cuts will have to be made. This is a disaster and
as the economy sinks further NYC will become a war
zone. The movie, Escape from New York, wasn't far off.

Goodyear Tire and Rubber will replace 1,200, $18 per
hour workers at its Lincoln plant with workers at a
facility in Mexico who make $12.77 a day. The jobs go
to Chihuahua and our citizens are thrown out of work.
When are Americans going to wake up? When it's too
late and we have to fight in the streets? This is a
national disgrace. These transnationals don't care
about American workmanship; they want these jobs out
of the US because they want our country on its knees
so we will accept world government. What do they have
to do, draw pictures for you? Our country is being
raped and made impotent. If we do not leave NAFTA and
WTO our country's economy will be destroyed.

America is facing the greatest upsurge in financial
fraud since the 1920's. The accounting scandals in
America's major corporations have cost Americans
billions of dollars. At the root of the problem are
Wall Street and the lack of regulatory oversight from
the SEC, NASD, the US Attorney, state regulators and
states' attorneys. It's like a big club of criminals
called the Council on Foreign Relations, the
Trilateral Commission and Bilderberger members. They
do whatever they want and no one goes to jail.
Meanwhile these agencies prey on small companies and
small brokers and brokerage firms because they don't
have the financial means to take these crooks on. We
know: we've been there.

Massachusetts state securities regulators will file
civil-fraud charges against Credit Suisse First
Boston. The state has demanded a complete separation
of the firm's research from its investment banking
business and a $100 million fine, which CSFB
dismissed, hence the legal action. CSFB already paid a
$100 million fine in January to the SEC and NASD for
charging excessive commissions to hedge funds for
allocations of hot IPO's. They have also referred
their findings to New York City's Eliot Spitzer for
possible criminal charges under New York's Martin Act.

Many health insurance companies place a cap on the
amount they will pay out over the course of a person's
lifetime. Two-thirds of people in preferred-provider
organizations have such lifetime benefit maximums. You
can avoid this if you pay a premium, which would take
a lifetime payment from $300,000 to $1 million, but
even a million dollars today can be reached in a short
period of time. Hospital costs are increasing 15-20% a
year and some small group plans are reducing lifetime
maximums to as little as $30-$50,000. As an example,
bone marrow transplants cost $200-$500,000. Those who
experience catastrophic illness are simply wiped out.
That is why many smart people are transferring assets
to their children after age 65. You then reside in a
state that has a high-risk insurance pool.

Sales of office furniture peaked in 2000 at $13.3
billion. They declined 17.4% in 2001 and are expected
to decline 19% this year to less than 49 billion.
Sales at Herman Miller and Steelcase are off 40% in
two years.

If it wasn't bad enough that corporate America and the
major brokerage houses are screwing their clients, so
are the mutual funds. Fund managers are failing to
disclose conflicts-of-interest that corporate
executives could never legally hide behind. It is a
conspiracy of silence. We like to call it, lying by
omission. There are the deficiency audits, insider
trading, failure to disclose brokerage costs, soft
dollar costs, failure to disclose taxable
distributions, failure to disclose fees honestly, and
continued failure to disclose performance accurately.
Others are, failure to disclose proxy votes, charges
in team-managed funds, disclosure of portfolio
holdings in a timely manner and failure to disclose
manager compensation. These failures damage the
investor and the funds themselves. There should be
total transparency.

What is zero financing doing to the auto industry?
First it has destroyed the market in wholesale used
cars. You buy a new car for $35,000 and two years
later its wholesale value, under normal circumstances,
is $15,000. You have just lost $20,000 on a vehicle
that you have driven 30,000 miles and still have to
pay another $25,000 on over the next three years. It's
no wonder the lenders want to exempt car loans from
bankruptcy. GM's sales are booming but hidden costs
are building. They have pension and health care bills
for 460,000 retirees and these costs have become a
huge competitive disadvantage. They could very well
soak up every dime of free cash flow the company
generates over the next few years; yes every dime.
That's if they make money. If they don't make money
they have to sell assets and if they can't do that
they go under. GM has 2.5 retirees for every active
worker as opposed to one-to-one at Ford and Chrysler
and no legacy responsibilities at Japanese and Korean
carmakers. GM pays $1 billion a year for medical and
life insurance benefits for retirees. Over the next 13
years they'll pay out $38 billion in pension
obligations or $76 billion. They are currently short
$9 billion. A 10% drop in stocks by the end of 2002
brings that $49 billion to $20 billion in under-funded
obligations. The bottom line is GM cannot survive
unless the market goes up and we don't think it's
going up. Therefore, we are instituting a short on GM
shares at $37.25 and cover at $30.80. If it breaks $30
a share you reset your short, which will then be open
with no cover.

On Monday the market was subject to another fable,
that Bank One would takeover JP Morgan Chase, of
course, and based on that the market rallied another
216 DOW points. The prospect of that happening, we
believe, is remote, especially with Morgan being such
a can of worms.

It is inevitable that American productivity will drop.
The reasons are simple. Staffs' management and workers
are demoralized as the survivors of layoffs and cost
cutting, and they still have to get the same amount of
work done despite the shrinking staff and resources.
They must now not only do their jobs, but also the
work of fired colleagues. The combination of more work
and not having been trained properly to do additional
work cuts into efficiency. Stress and tension over
time takes its toll. The situation will get worse
before it improves.

Borrowers are progressively having more trouble
meeting debt payments. That generally means reducing
frivolous spending, trying to create an emergency
fund, reducing credit-card debt, consolidating high
interest loans and refinancing mortgages. Present
evidence suggests late or non-payment of debt is
becoming a major problem and it has crossed economic
boundaries, hitting all income classes. Mortgage
delinquencies have recently risen to their highest
levels in 12 years. Credit-card delinquencies have
caused Capital One Financial and Sears to increase bad
debt reserves. Delinquent auto loans have forced Ford
to raise $700 million. Debt payments made up 14.04% of
disposable household income in the second quarter of
2002 versus 13.55% in the second quarter of 1999. As
unemployment rises and the economy slips into
depression these figures will quickly and easily
double.

Corporations need cash and they are selling real
estate holdings. They sold 95 properties worth $2.35
billion during the third quarter, up from 63
properties totaling $98 million in the year-ago
quarter. For the year they sold 240 worth $4.78
billion versus 208 worth $3.70 billion a year ago.
Property companies and REIT's are the buyers. About
47% of companies own their real estate and 53% lease.
The corporate race for cash continues to build
reserves while they can and to increase earnings.

The former General Counsel, in court documents, said
that auditors PricewaterhouseCoopers knew of the $14
million in relocation loans he got from Tyco. The
ex-General Counsel is facing fraud charges for
falsifying documents and could get four years in jail.

We often get the question: Is deflation worse than
inflation? And the answer is yes. Deflation does more
macroeconomic damage than an equal and opposite amount
of inflation. It's because nominal interest rates
cannot go below zero, deflation reduces the
flexibility of central bankers, increases economic
volatility and introduces dangerous distortions in the
economy. Deflation, particularly that which
accompanies business cycle downturns, renders
conventional monetary policy tools ineffective. As the
zero lower mark for nominal interest rates approaches,
it becomes near impossible for central banks to
engineer negative real interest rates that are
urgently needed to stimulate growth. If the fall in
the velocity of money is not temporary, it presages
the limits of conventional monetary policy tools. As
in Japan for the past 10 years, deflation has not been
reversed and represents a terrifying specter. The
result is output falls, savings rise, unemployment
rises and psychologically the citizen loses confidence
in his or her government. It creates an insular
phenomenon. The dangerous distortions of deflation
eventually generate a high real interest rate that
transfers wealth from debtors to creditors. High real
interest rates and lower net worth reduce the ability
of borrowers to meet nominal debt obligations,
bringing about bankruptcy. This disrupts the smooth
functioning of the financial system, particularly when
accompanied by derivative, real estate, credit, bond
and pension bubbles. They all depress investment,
which has already begun, along with employment and
prices, which are also underway. Output is an
increasing function of prices, producers increase
prices as production rises and decrease prices as
production falls. Output then is affected by declining
prices as is employment and investment. Falling prices
bankrupt entrepreneurs and the fear of falling prices
forces them to close operations and reduce output and
employment. Deflation, modest or chronic, is very
dangerous to any economy suffering from a business
cycle downturn. Those with large debt, personal or
corporate, are particularly vulnerable. Like it or not
this is where we are heading. You know what to do: do
it. If you have any questions call or write and we'll
do our best to help.

Second quarter dividends from S&P 500 companies rose
by 7.8% from the previous year. Dividend paying
companies outperformed those that paid no dividends by
22.5% over the first nine months of the year. Yet, the
S&P yield is still only 2.04% against 3.25% for the
Eurotop 300. This should be a very good lesson to
companies. A higher dividend probably means a higher
or better share price.

Ford, which has been priced out of the mainstream debt
market, will raise more money from securitized bond
issues or asset-backed bonds in Europe and Australia
to ensure it has access to funding. Both Ford and GM
have been locked out of the unsecured debt markets due
to weak profits and massive unfunded pension
liabilities. Since downgrades, both companies'
unsecured bonds have fallen sharply. We certainly
would not be interested in any of their securities at
this time.

IBM's strong earnings report that helped send the
market up were bogus. Earnings from continuing
operations in the third quarter were down 1% from a
year ago. Worse yet, income actually fell 18%, but
this decline includes earnings, or lack thereof, from
discontinued operations. Yet earnings per share
increased two cents in the third quarter versus a year
ago. Another deceiving factor is that IBM buys back
lots of its outstanding shares, which causes the
outstanding shares to decrease, also aiding earnings.

Like many other sectors of the economy REITS are
winding up their second year of deteriorating markets
and dwindling rents. The question is how much more
financial stress can REITS withstand before their
dividends are threatened? In a second quarter study of
30 REITS they produced $1.14 in cash for every dollar
needed to cover the dividend. That's not much of a
cushion, considering that the next 18 months promise
to be very tough. Just a slight drop in occupancy and
they'll be in hot water. For the first three quarters
of this year, REITS paid an average dividend of 7%,
whereas the S&P 500 dividend was 1.95%. As occupancy
and profits drop so will dividends. That means the
shares will drop. If you own REITS you had best take a
closer look because you could end up losing money.

In order to stay in business stock brokerage firms are
raising fees and instituting new ones such as the $30
per quarter "account service fee" if you don't do
enough trading, which Charles Schwab charges. Starting
this month, Schwab customers who use brokers to buy
no-load funds must pay $25 per trade. Investors who
have less than $10,000 in their brokerage account now
pay a $45 per quarter fee and a $15 increase for
investors who have between $5,000 and $9,000 in
assets. Fidelity has added a $3.00 order-handling fee.
TD Waterhouse has boosted commissions by $3.00 to
$17.95 for customers who have less than $250 in assets
or make fewer than 18 trades per quarter. Morgan
Stanley has upped IRA fees from $30 to $40 yearly and
cash management fees from $80 to $100. Payne Weber and
Merrill Lynch are posting similar fees. Retail trading
volume is off 60 to 70%, so someone has to pay to keep
these brokerage houses in business especially after
they made billions of dollars in the nineties and many
of them screwed their clients.

AUSTRALIA AND NEW ZEALAND

Australians are dead set against the US invading Iraq.
The Aussies have lost a one billion wheat deal with
Iraq and America is increasing taxes on Australian
farm products. Australians are outraged, but this is
normal for the NWO crowd.

We were under the impression Australians were forced
to turn all their guns in to the government. A man
armed with several handguns walked into a Monash
University lecture hall and shot two students dead and
wounded five before he was overcome.

Moody's raised New Zealand's credit rating to Aa2 and
Australia was upgraded to Aaa.

Australia's growth rose 0.5% in September and 1.4% for
the year. Inflation was about 0.7% for an annual rate
of 3%.

MIDDLE EAST

The IMF recommends that Saudi Arabia speed up
implementation of a proposed tax on expatriate
workers, who make up 48% of total manpower, and to
also extend the tax to Saudis. It's a rough time to
implement taxation. Growth was 1.2% last year and it's
forecast at only 0.7% this year. If they tax locals
they may have a revolution on their hands.

ASIA

Those who disagree with our deflation forecasts should
read this. Hong Kong consumer prices fell 3.7% from a
year earlier, the steepest fall since June 2000. A low
demand similar to what is developing in the US and has
been present in Japan for some years has now afflicted
Hong Kong in a big way. Lack of demand has killed
retail-pricing power and property rentals continue to
fall. Hong Kong's economy has been in a depression for
44 months.

JAPAN

Moody's has raised its credit-rating ceiling on
Japan's foreign-currency debt to the top Aaa grade
from Aa1. This is a technical adjustment.

SUBSCRIPTION INFORMATION: 1-year $99.95 U.S. Funds.
Make check payable to Robert Chapman, (NOT
International Forecaster), and mail to: P. O. Box
510518, Punta Gorda, Fl 33951. Please include name,
address, telephone number and email address. We accept
VISA and MasterCard charges. Please provide us with
your card number and expiration date. We will charge
your card $99.95 for a one-year subscription. Please
note, we publish twice a month by surface mail or 3-4
times a month by email. Our email is:
[EMAIL PROTECTED] or [EMAIL PROTECTED]

For new or renewal subscriptions please contact
941-639-0619 or the above email addresses.