>Just for CO/CO2. You need something like the X-ray workers wear, that
>bleeps cheerfully when it's time to go spend a few centuries in your
>corpsicle tank till things improve somewhat.
>
>It needs to read the stuff behind the increasingly regular
>announcements in ever more cities cancelling school and warning kids
>and old people to stay indoors. That's just smog though, the
>cancer-causing stuff is less easily measured, and how much does it
>take to cause cancer? One molecule, no? In theory. Which precise one
>does the job being the question.
>
>The Japanese are into this stuff a bit. I see water testing kits in
>some of the shops, not quite sure what they do, or how well.

Note that I hope we can crosspost a bit here, I'd like to see more
opinions.

Thx for the feedback.  I'd like to see a start toward just generally
giving it a shot.  Obviously, one can't make a super-accurate
measure-everything affordable home-kit.  We have good smoke detectors,
and now CO-detection.  Radon?  I'm not sure if that's affordable or if
you have to have outsiders come in.  So, I'd like to see progress, or
inventions, in giving a much better picture, say percentages of the
basic gasses in the house.  This would help, for example, folks to
better understand that when they sleep in an enclosed environment
without much fresh air, they probably bring the O2 levels well down
and the CO2 levels way up.

I was thinking about this today, and I can't even remember a single
meteorological news story (i.e. the Weather) which gave any real
indication of gas percentage levels of the common gasses or uncommon
ones, with the exception of Ozone and some other particulates or
pollutants.  I mean, I would have no idea of O2 percentage that is
normal, and most people wouldn't.  Yet, why not make it part of common
knowledge?

With water, I think that a good solid expose of what's actually in our
water is always a story waiting to happen.   People do have an
excellent sense that there might, or might not, be something wrong,
and they've already proven that they are *quite* ready to spend money
for quality water, or to avoid even potentially bad water, such as by
buying tap filters (not that cheap!) and by buying bottled water (more
expensive than Gas here).

This is a night-time local news story always waiting to happen, for
the enterprising journalist.  Lately I have noticed a good (great)
trend in the local news of a couple of newscasters really putting
themselves out there as consumer advocates who get action on important
issues.  I wonder when they will get into this one.

>With pesticide residues, MM. I can't see simple tests for that, I
>think there are too many of them, and the tests aren't so simple.
>Also, as with food additives etc (5,000-odd of them in use, all had
>the same safety tests as thalidomide, none of them tested in
>combination, and the average Westerner consumes the equivalent of 13
>aspirin-sized rablets of them per day), there's the possibility that
>they might be benign (more or less) taken singly, but can be highly
>toxic in combination combination. What combination, exactly? How many
>in combination? It gets too complex. The best way is avoidance, if
>possible, and that is becoming more possible. That and ban the stuff,
>it's all worse than useless anyway.

I think folks will be more motivated to practice avoidance if they
have access to information, detailed information, as to non-food
residues which are in their food.  While you may be quite familiar
with such information, many others are not.  So, I think such tests go
hand in hand.  Your point as to the difficulty of doing them is
well-taken.  So, here it would be more a matter of such an expensive
laborious task being done at a less-frequent higher level, such as at
a good University, in an ongoing process.

I'm not sure if Consumer Reports would be up to doing such tests and
exposes, on food, water, air, but I'd like to see it.

Plan to Sell a Home?
http://us.click.yahoo.com/J2SnNA/y.lEAA/jd3IAA/FGYolB/TM