Hello again Graham

>Hey Keith,
>
>Skepticism indeed.  I am sorry to hear that the grassroots biodiesel
>movement and the nascent industry have already grown so divided.

Well, I said why. You don't seem to have addressed that much. There's
not a lot of discussion about it, generally, we just get on with what
we're doing. The industry is largely to blame for any division, for
the reasons stated, and more below.

>My
>own experience has been that biodieselers are more supportive of
>commercial producers than your perspective but I am sure that your
>view was developed after much discussion and consideration with
>others.  I am not speaking for World Energy but would like to provide
>my personal observations.  I entered the industry after having been
>introduced to biodiesel by Josh and Kaia who are friends of friends.
>I jumped into biodiesel with both feet because I concluded that
>biodiesel is a huge improvement over petroleum diesel and I remain
>convinced of this.

As, of course, are we all.

>RE:  your post-
>

> > Not so. I've just been looking at costings for a batch-processing
> > set-up that includes everything, rents, utilitities, insurance,
> > labor, maintenance and truck lease for collection, etc, for a 3,000
> > gpd facility generating 1,050,000 gallons a year, cost of
>production
> > well under $0.60 a gallon.
>
>I have not seen this happen yet but would consider it to be great
>news.  Please keep me up to date if you pursue this.

It's not something I'm doing, but it's not unique either. If it takes
off, and I think it will, it should encompass quite a few different
operations.

> > >With notable exceptions, it generally does not result in ASTM-spec
> > >commercial grade biodiesel.
> >
> > The other way round - there are a few people who use sloppy methods
> > and bolster their confidence with spurious "tests", thoroughly
> > debunked yet they persist, there may even be some of them here. But
> > the idea that homebrewers can't make standard-spec fuel simply
>isn't
> > so, most of us can and do. That's an industry myth, and it's about
> > time industry did a little bit of checking to see if it's still
>true
> > or not, if it ever was true.
>

> > How is a commercial batch plant somehow superior to a well run
> > homebrewer's batch plant? After all, that's where NOPEC and the
>rest
> > of the world started fifteen
> > years ago and still primarily reside, with a few esterification and
> > FFA recovery refinements here and there. They all use batch
> > processors, so do we, so what's the difference? Economies of scale,
> > and therefore of efficiency? Oft bandied about, but those are
> > dangerous assumptions, industry myths. Big ain't beautiful - very
> > often it only means flabbier, more wasteful, less efficient than a
> > dedicated small, local operation would be. Same for quality - big
> > operations will do exactly enough to meet minimum requirements, and
> > no more, small operations are more likely to take some pride in
>what
> > they do and produce the best product they can. They're also more
> > likely to know their customers personally, which makes a
>difference,
> > there are inter-personal and community-level obligations and
> > responsibilities involved.
> >
> > Frankly I think we're all rather tired of this industry crap that
>we
> > can't make good fuel.
>I expected this might draw some ire but it's a good point to
>discuss.  The big fear of the biodiesel industry is that homebrewers
>are going to destroy the market.

Yes, I'm aware that's your fear, but it's based on prejudice and
ignorance of developments in the homebrewing field. You really know
very little about us, and it's time you learnt.

>I have seen home-brewed biodiesel
>cause problems in multiple locations and it has taken significant
>efforts to undo the damage. One region of the country in particular
>had large quantities of homegrown off-spec fuel that was being sold
>and distributed.  The use of biodiesel was substantially delayed in
>this area until trust for the fuel was re-established.

Really? Has anyone else here heard about this? "... large quantities
of homegrown off-spec fuel". Home-brewed, you mean? Large quantities
of it? Homebrewers do not make large quantities, and certainly don't
sell large quantities. Please provide full details of this. It sounds
like something of an industry myth to me, an apocryphal tale.

>The biodiesel
>industry has gone to major efforts and expenditure to make progress
>with the engine manufacturers and to establish the ASTM standard.

We know about this, but in fact progress with the manufacturers has
been somewhat slow. A few months ago the NBB was stating that "no
manufacturers' warranties are voided by the use of biodiesel", now
they're not saying that any more, instead they have a much longer
article with lots of hedging and provisos. Progress, I'm sure, yes,
but slow.

>Frankly, I don't know what percentage of homegrown fuel is in spec
>but I do read about a lot of goo being produced.

Not a lot, very little, less and less I believe.

>Everytime off spec
>fuel causes a problem, it causes a problem for everyone.

In fact we've had a long-standing search for the mythical wrecked
diesel motor as a result of using bad biodiesel, and haven't found
one yet. Please provide any details you may have of this. If you
don't have details, please tell us where we might be able to find
them.

>I also am
>aware of at least one prosecution for failure to pay road taxes on
>homegrown fuel that was sold.

We know of a road taxes case, but AFAIK the biodiesel wasn't being
sold, it was being used by the producer. There was also the case of
Yellow Biodiesel, who was closed down by the EPA. The proprietor is a
member of this group. There was much discussion of it here and at the
Biofuels-biz group, and on the other forums. We started a special
closed forum with those concerned and some other interested parties
to investigate it. I suggest you do a search for "EPA hassle" at the
two archives:
http://archive.nnytech.net/index.php?list=biofuels-biz

To confirm what most biodieselers think of industry, the initial
conclusion by many, including those involved, was that it was a
deliberate conspiracy by Big Soy and the NBB to exclude small-scale
producers. This was a widely-held view, and many people still think
that. This was a comment I received yesterday in an off-list
communication:

>Thanks to the efforts of the NBB, it was extremely difficult and
>expensive for anyone to become a commercial biodiesel producer- it
>is very cheap to get set up as a small producer, and the 'producers'
>association effectively shut small producers out of the game.

Various members here have pushed and shoved and inquired and badgered
people at the EPA and the NBB, both of which have since changed their
stance several times.

What emerges is that neither of the two knew their own rules when it
came to small-scale operations. It centred on whether small-scale
producers were liable for the fees for access to the Tier 1 and 2
Health Effects Data for the Clean Air Act provisions. The EPA got its
definitions wrong, and the NBB semed to have forgotten that it had
provisions to exempt small producers from paying the fees, which are
prohibitive.

Now the EPA says small-producers do qualify for the exemptions as
long as their fuel meets standard-spec, which is not a problem. The
NBB seems a bit confused - recent enquiries indicate that they still
seem more concerned about getting back their soy check-off dollars
that were used to pay for the Health Effects Data tests. It needs a
test case, coming soon no doubt.

IMO it wasn't a "conspiracy", it was simply ignorance and neglect -
small-scale producers simply fell below their radar screen. When it
came to an actual case, they seemed to operate from a prior
conviction (as you do) that "homebrewers" can't meet the standards.
In the doing, they perhaps unwittingly created a lot of bad feeling
and distrust among biodieselers, which will be very difficult to undo.

>I think it is in everyone's interest
>to recognize that there are differences between homegrown and
>commercial grade biodiesel.

What exactly are those differences? I asked you that last time, and
you haven't really answered, except for talk about poor-quality fuel
which may be no more than rumour. I hope you'll be able to
substantiate that, I'm sure we're all very interested. But we require
substantiation and details when such claims are made.

On the other hand, we hear several reports of fleets supplied with
biodiesel by industry where vehicles have had a lot of down-time from
clogged filters because industry failed to warn them that biodiesel
would loosen the gunk laid down by petro-diesel use. All of us are
very careful to warn people about that.

>If homegrowers can hit spec and do
>quality control and test to spec, then they should consider whether
>they want to comply with the various legal requirements and go
>commercial.

See above.

>Otherwise they should keep it at home.
>

> > This was forwarded to me three years ago from a correspondence with
> > an ex-President of the National Biodiesel Board:
> >
> > "Proponents of "make-it-yourself" fuel are not looked upon as
>serious
> > because there is no way to ensure consistent fuel quality. Of
>course,
> > these groups can be very helpful when approaching government to
> > demonstrate community-wide support."
> >
> > We're a joke, but we can be quite useful, uh-huh. Both the NBB and
> > Werner Korbitz of the Austrian Biofuels Institute still promote
>this
> > patronizing myth. Boocock also says that - though we see no signs
> > that Biox can meet ASTM-spec, and other industry figures doubt it.
>
>Sorry if you've been patronized.  I was more interested in the fact
>that biodieselers understand and support the use of biodiesel.

Whatever makes you think they don't??? What a strange thing to say!

> [...]
>than
> > that. I run these two groups and a major web resource, but I can
>only
> > speak for myself and many might disagree. However, Graham, I'd say
> > that if World Energy really wants to collaborate with the
> > biodieselers, you'd be welcome. But it would have to be real
> > collaboration, two-way, mutual. We're not interested in being
> > co-opted. We know what we could offer you, and you also know that,
> > but what could you offer us in exchange? Why should we be
>interested?
> > For the general good of the biofuels issue? I think we already tend
> > to that quite adequately, at least as well as you do. We've shown
> > willing in the past, the fault lies on the industry side.
> >
> > I should say that I'm not volunteering for anything that may come
>of
> > this, we're overstretched, we don't have the time or resources to
> > spare, and the main focus of our project is 3rd World rural
> > development, not energy issues in the industrialized countries. But
> > if it seemed worthwhile there might well be those among the members
> > here who would be prepared to take it up and put the required time
> > and effort into it, and if so we'd be prepared to help. If you do
> > want to discuss it, this would be the right place.
> >
> > By the way, just to indicate that I might not be too far off course
> > on what biodieselers think, I just received this from another
> > biodieseler, part of a cross-correspondence that seems to involve
> > several groups:
> >
> > >It is very well-documented, particularly in other countries not
> > >dominated by US soy/agribusiness that many, many other oil crops
>are
> > >a better source of oilseed for fuel than are soybeans. Soy oil is
> > >sort of 'waste' product of soy production is grown for
>agribusiness
> > >animal feed. commercial soy farming is also huge source of
>pollution
> > >in this country (and don' t believe any of the GMO corporations'
> > >claims that GMO's will result in lower pesticide use, the only
> > >currently commercially used GMO' crops have all been altered for
> > >increased resistance to  herbicides like Roundup, with the
>exception
> > >of bt crops which have their own massive problems in leading to bt
> > >tolerance in damaging insects and the unintentional killing off of
> > >monarchs and other 'useful' species .
> > >
> > > The National Biodiesel Board is dominated by the soy farming
> > >interests, a very ugly consortium with Monsanto, Archer Daniels
> > >Midland and Cargill written all over it. Unfortunately these folks
> > >love all our efforts on behalf of publicising biodiesel.  Not that
> > >we should change it. We just need to be aware of who our 'allies'
> > >are on the commercial/NBB side.
>
>I appreciate your analysis of these issues but my approach is a
>pragmatic one:  I think biodiesel is better than petroleum diesel.

Well, I think it deserved a more considered response than that, with
the assertion that it's not pragmatic. But you would say that.

>The biodiesel industry is targeting the mainstream fleet market which
>is a conventional one.  The users are not interested in a thorough re-
>evaluation of our economic system but they are enthusiastic about an
>American-made cleaner burning alternative diesel fuel.  They want it
>to meet the ASTM spec, be available via conventional petroleum
>delivery and not require too much of their time.  This may be more
>incremental a change than you want to participate in and that's
>fine.

We're making our own changes, Graham, and they're not insignificant.

You people are more corporate and go for the business end of the
business - fleets etc. We've done a lot of work fighting the
diesel-bashing lobby in the US to try to mend the ridiculous
disparity between the US and Europe when it comes to diesel cars - 1%
vs 35%. And had some success.

And of course just about every biodieseler is like throwing a pebble
in a pond - the ripples of what he/she does spread to others, raising
general awareness of biodiesel and the issues it addresses by leaps
and bounds. The "grassroots" movement as you call it has made
tremendous progress in the last three years.

>I do think that the soy farmers have essentially created the
>biodiesel market in the US and I think they deserve far more credit
>than you suggest.

We're well aware of what they've done, and what they haven't done,
and why. We know much more about industry than industry knows about
us, as the "EPA hassle" case demonstrates most amply, and as you too
demonstrate.

Nonetheless, the soy interests' main interest in biodiesel is in
selling more soy, no? We don't agree with that. There's room for soy,
sure, lots of room no doubt, but biodiesel is very much more
important than the welfare of the soy interests, and I think that's
something that's holding it back, and from which it needs to be freed.

>The companies that have been the biggest producers
>include a large number of farmer-based cooperatives that aren't the
>ugly monolithic corporations that you describe.

There aren't that many NBB members. I did not say that the commercial
producers are ugly monolithic corporations. Nonetheless, ADM,
Monsanto and Cargill are ugly monolithic corporations, and they have
very much to do with the soy-based biodiesel industry.

>The people that I
>have met from these businesses can't be pigeon-holed into one
>category but generally have been what I consider to be good and
>decent human beings who are trying to make a living from farming.

Can you give us some details of farmer-based coops producing
biodiesel for sale for on-road use?

>As far as where the mutual opportunities exist, I think we've hit a
>few.  I know the biodiesel industry does benefit from the PR and
>interest in homemade veggie fuel.  I think that at least some of the
>grassroots movement shares my view that biodiesel is a change in the
>right direction and that it is worthwhile to support it.

OF COURSE biodieselers think biodiesel is a change in the right
direction and support it - why else would they be doing it???

Graham, you seem to equate "biodiesel" and "the biodiesel industry".
We don't. For some reason we do rather tend to think that biodiesel
is something that exists independent of industry, maybe because we
make so much of it ourselves.

>The common
>goals are sustainability, clean air, clean water, clean soil and less
>dependence on foreign oil.  I think biodieselers could benefit from
>the standards and technical knowledge of the industry.

Yes, but again you're unaware of the standards and technical
knowledge of the homebrewers, which is at a much higher level than
you think.

>The NBB is
>the organization- most of their meeting in St. Louis next week could
>be attended by anyone who wants to; perhaps biodieselers should
>consider appointing an ambassador.

That's not much of a response to what I was saying. We know about the
NBB, we've often been in touch with them, we especially appreciate
their database, but we have our reservations about them and their
interests, and they've proven to be rather well-founded.

I'm sure biodieselers wouldn't consider having anything like an
ambassador, and anyone who appointed himself as such would be laughed
out of town. Or ignored. These are independent people. If you or the
industry want to work with them you'll have to do a bit better than
that. Have you got anything they want? What are you offering? How?

I don't think you've responded to my post very well, I'd hoped for better.

Best

Keith