>Curtis writes:
>
> >I happen to catch this mid-thread.  I thought the NaOH was an essential part
> >of the biodieselic reaction (to make the methoxide).  I didn't know you
> >could use acid to catalyse the reaction!!  Can you??
>
>That's sorta what we're trying to find out here, but it's supposed to work.
>Of course it doesn't make methoxide, it uses a completely different reaction
>mechanism. According to both Aleks and US Patent 4,695,411 it can be
>done with conc. H2SO4, and there are even better acids out there....-K

I understood only H2SO4 would work. No?

Curtis, have a look at Aleks's page, he explains it quite well.
http://journeytoforever.org/biodiesel_aleksnew.html
Foolproof biodiesel process: Journey to Forever

The acid does esterification, with some transesterification, the base
completes the transesterification.

Best