[Cross-post from the Biofuels-biz list.]

Mark,

Well, my post certain punched a lot of your buttons.
I appreciate your taking the time to reply so
passionately.

As should be obvious by now, I am not familiar with
the homebrewing community beyond the few individuals I
know regionally who make BD and my own as yet
unrealized pretensions towards making my own fuel for
a while now.

I agree with you that homebrewers, small producers,
and large producers have different agendas and
(possibly) overlapping interests.  I am sure you read
my posts carefully Mark, so you know that I never
suggested homebrewers “give anything up to a
representative, or a representative organization.”  In
fact, I said specifically that most homebrewers would
probably not be interested in belonging to a
“biodiesel association,” and that no such association
could ever replace local ties.  I also NEVER said
anything about, as you put it, “unagreed-to
representatives, etc!), so please, no matter how
agitated you feel, try to refrain from setting up
straw men.

My focus is really more on independent producers who
are making a (small) business of biodiesel.  But, my
point is that everyone, homebrewers included, are
affected by regulations, taxes, and so on, and that
giving a voice to these concerns that would be heard
by those who set regulations and taxes might be a good
idea.   You don’t have to sell me on the merits of
decentralized networks, neighborhood-scale projects,
and empowered community members.  I work with those
every day.  But you may need to sell some individuals
in power on those concepts if you are worried about
them messing things up.  Since you express great
concern over government regulation of homebrewers, and
rightly so, how do you plan to let policy-makers know
that you want to be left the f*#k alone?  I would
suggest that (unfortunately) posts to this forum are
not going to do it.

Mark, you wrote, “and I know for a fact that many of
the homebrewers don't have the time, nor enough in
common as individuals, to waste time forming lobbying
organizations or whatnot.”  I certainly can’t gainsay
that.  But I wonder if you have enough in common as
homebrewers to see to your collective interest as
homebrewers (i.e. the right to continue homebrewing
uninfringed by pesky laws and regulations.  The
possible organization and regulation you are agonizing
about is not a new phemonenon; it happened to people
who built and flew the early airplanes; to those in
the nascent radio broadcasting industry; to the
original organic farmers.  Adoption of technology goes
through phases, and if something becomes more
lucrative as a business, more people will enter and
want (or get without wanting) regulation, standards,
etc.  Personally, I would be happy to see homebrewers
go on doing their thing, unaffected by these changes.
Sadly, I doubt that is likely.  The anecdotes you have
related bolster that view.

WRT certification, although I didn’t say so
specifically, I was actually thinking about
third-party, private-sector (nonprofit) certification,
not a government program.  When I mentioned organic
certification I was thinking of Oregon Tilth, CCOF,
etc., not USDA organic standards.  What happened to
organics was lamentable, but I think it had less to do
with poor government than it did with the fact that
the proposed regs were developed at a time when
agribusiness (General Mills, ADM, Birdseye) was
realizing the huge growth potential in organic foods
and was jumping into the market with both feet.  The
standards proposed in ’98 reflected their interests
(and those of corporate farms), more than it did the
pioneers of organics.

What is interesting was the reaction.  USDA received
more public comments (over a half a million IIRC), way
more than any federal agency had ever received on any
proposed standards.  How did this happen?  It happened
because these voices of the public were focused
through the efforts of, yup, organizations—food
cooperatives, environmental organizations, local farm
and agriculture organizations.  They got the word out
and got it out well.  Now, in part, this reflected the
effectiveness of diffused networks of activists and
interested consumers.  But it also reflected a LOT of
hard work by formal organizations.

Back to certification.  I come from a background
studying certification and labeling, mostly of forest
products and food.  I don’t know if certification and
labeling would work for biodiesel, whether or not it
would be a good idea, what the effect on consumer
behavior would be.  I threw it out as a possibility.
The thing is, I don’t think anyone else knows either,
including you and Keith.  No one has done (to my
knowledge, and I’d love to be wrong on this ‘cause I
like hard data) market research on how consumers make
choices on alternative fuels for their automobiles,
what influencing their decision-making, how
risk-averse they are, and so on.  I originally stated
that I thought they are risk-averse and Keith asserted
the opposite.  I hope he’s right.  But we really don’t
know.  I do know that, generally speaking, labeling
and brand identification does a lot for marketing and
consumer acceptance, and that consumers like
standardization (hence part of the popularity of
MacDonalds, Starbucks, etc.).  Certification is one
way to build a brand.

Finally, an issue implicit in all these discussions is
whether fostering widespread social change can be
accomplished more effectively from the bottom-up (or
out) or from the top-down.  Or whether it can be done
both ways contemporaneously, and whether or not that
requires cooperation from the two sides.  I really
don’t know what the answer is for biodiesel.

Regards,

thor