coachgeo3 wrote:

>ok.... Im debating some issues within my self. You know trying to do
>the right thing in a small way.. buttttt being logical in the
>process.
>
> I plan to run my vehicles(s) on Veg oil that is cut/thinned by
>xxxxxxxx?  I can't decide what to cut/thin it with.

Thin it with heat or by transesterification.

>If I choose
>diesel fuel am I making the environment worse.. Some with out
>thinking might immediately say yes.... butttttttt...  I'm thinking·
>yeah. It hurts   ;-)

That's a purist's view, and they're right - if you can completely
replace fossil fuel use, that's obviously best. You could argue about
the methanol in biodiesel coming from fossil sources, and the fossil
fuel used to grow the oilseed plants, but those are other issues,
let's just stick to what you put in your tank. So you could put no
fossil fuel in your tank, using SVO or biodiesel. SVO heated two-tank
systems need a start-stop fuel, which could or should be biodiesel,
but is very often petro-diesel. People using biodiesel often add up
to 30% petro-diesel or kerosene in the winter. So, to be practical,
it's quite okay to look at how much petro-diesel you're not using
than at how little you're still using. Every gallon of SVO or
biodiesel used is a gallon of fossil-fuel not used.

>Here is some of the "stuff" in my head about the environment and
>diesel that this thinking has produced.
>
>Iffffff I got this right.... "when Crude Oil is tweaked and
>converted with the goal of making Regular gasoline fuel; the process
>produces some waste products.  A big one of those waste products is
>the main ingredient of diesel fuel."  Is that correct?  Another way
>to say it is·... no matter how u cut and slice it.. when u make
>gasoline·. You make diesel too.

No, that's not correct. Diesel's not a waste product. They're
co-products. Have a look at how fractional distillation works and
what the products are.

At the top you get refinery gases - methane, ethane, propane and
butane. Methane and ethane are used for process heat and for
chemicals manufacture, propane and butane are mostly sold as bottled
fuel.

Next comes gasoline,

Next comes naphtha, for fuel, plastics, chemicals, solvents.

Kerosene is next, for aviation fuel, heating and lighting, solvents.

Next is gas oil, made into diesel fuel and heating oil, used with asphalt.

The residue is heavy hydrocarbons, made into lube oil, bitumen and
other products.

There's rather more to it than that, but that's basically what
happens. I don't think it makes much sense to ask which is more
important, gasoline or diesel, they're both important, neither is a
by-product, certainly not a waste product. There are still more
gasoline-powered cars than diesels, though that's changing fast
(except in the US - coming soon though), but transport is
diesel-powered, road, rail and sea, much energy generation is
diesel-powered, much home-heating is diesel, most aviation is
kerosene powered (closer to diesel than to gasoline).

So your using SVO or biodiesel is not ever going to displace
petro-diesel into landfills.

Best

Keith