I've been following the current hooraw about low-temperature
carbonization with some confusion. I can't quite tell what the commotion
is about. This is not new technology - it was used in primitive form to
make "retort gas" for industrial and domestic use from the late 19th
century through (in some places like Germany) the middle of the 20th
century.

There can't be any doubt of its feasibility, for the obvious reason that
it was practiced for years. Its usefulness, however, is questionable.
The bye-product coal oils and gases are produced in fixed proportion to
the char (or coke), so their availability and ultimate production cost
are governed by the market for solid fuel. While that market is still
large, it is well served at present (in the USA at least) by low-sulfur
western coal that requires no prior processing and thus develops its
entire heat of combustion under the boiler; there's no reason to suppose
that coke from the same feedstock could compete. As for using
high-sulfur coals, I have my doubts. Whether the sulfur is driven off
during coking, thus needing to be scrubbed out of the gases and/or
liquids, or remains in the char, it still must be cleaned up, which
imposes a further cost no matter how it is done.

The gas and liquid hydrocarbons produced are completely irrelevant to
the argument, as, without a market for the char, the entire cost of
operating the process, including cracking or separating the tars,
scrubbing the sulfur and giving away or otherwise disposing of the char,
must be charged to what CAN be sold, making the retort gas and
combustible oils far too expensive. I believe this is why
low-temperature coking was abandoned as a commercial fuel production
process in the first place, and absent a very large increase in the cost
of petroleum (leading stationary power producers to switch to solid
fuel), I can't see it coming back.

Marc de Piolenc
Iligan, Philippines