I know of someone who has a two story HUGE strawbale house in the Santa
Cruz mountains, 12K of solar completely off the grid, solar water heating
for both home, spa, and subfloor heading.  They provided for awesome
passive heating on the south window structure.  Let me know if you want to
visit and I will call them for a walk through.  BTW, also have a Yoga
studio attached to the house that one of the owners teachs in.  Nice
people with some great applications of doing things right.  Just the idea
that your going to use alternative building technology puts you ahead of
99.99% of standard building.

James Slayden