Hello Myles

There are good yield tables here:
http://journeytoforever.org/biodiesel_yield.html
Vegetable oil yields, characteristics

They're low averages, you can do much better than that with a small plot.

For other oil crops, try these:

NewCrop SearchEngine at the Center for New Crops & Plant Products at
Purdue University -- Search for "oil". Results: "The following pages
containing 'oil' were found -- hits 1-20 of 200". Results are
hyperlinked to detailed factsheets.
http://www.hort.purdue.edu/newcrop/SearchEngine.html

Plants For A Future -- Database Search -- See "Search by Use - Select
any of the following uses. Or select none and use the plant criteria
below." Select "Other Use" - oil. Results: "Other Use: Oil (460)".
Results are hyperlinked to detailed factsheets.
http://www.ibiblio.org/pfaf/D_search.html

We've hardly begun to scratch the surface of the potential, either of
what to grow or of how to grow it (them). The "experts" still think
in terms of how much land will be needed to replace existing
fossil-fuel use via industrialized monocropping, then they find it's
"too much" and abandon the whole thing, hopeless. So much for
topdown-think. Did they think of weeds, and where weeds grow? - among
the very many other things they didn't think of

James A. Duke's excellent "Handbook of Energy Crops" details 194
crops, also very far from exhaustive. Including Euphorbia lathyris,
which is here:
http://www.hort.purdue.edu/newcrop/duke_energy/Euphorbia_lathyris.html
Euphorbia lathyris

But yield isn't everything. Jatropha curcus is a high oil-yielding
multi-purpose tree, at 1,590 kg/ha of oil, but it's been found it
doesn't yield much in India. If it's something that grows locally
like a weed, as you say Euphorbia lathyris does, then it will perform
well, and, very important, the local farmers will be familiar with
it, though they might need their attitude changed a bit. What local
people know almost always fares better than something new brought in
from outside, no matter how much it might yield.

Best

Keith

>I don't know if this has been brought up already or not, but while hemp is
>indeed a plant which provides fiber, oil and other uses, its oil content
>relative to other biofuel crop alternatives, well, sucks.
>
>According to Tickell's From the Fryer to the Fuel Tank, a hemp crop can
>yield oil at about 300kg/hectare.  Compared to Rapeseed (nearly 1000) hemp
>doesn't look too convincing as an oil crop unless both the oil and fiber
>yields combined outproduce the alternatives.  One potential energy plant not
>investigated since the 1980's that I can tell is Euphorbia Lathyris (aka
>Mole or Gopher Plant).  According to Tickell and other sources, the Mole
>plant produces more oil (approx. 1200kg/ha) mass/hectare than ANY OTHER
>plant crop other than trees and bushes such as castor bean.  The bean itself
>is said to yield 50% oil content.  It grows like crazy virtually anywhere.
>Hemp is not as easy to grow and as the literature indicates, produces less
>than a third the oil of the alternatives.
>
>Still, cannabis should be free.  It's hypocrital prohibition and enforcement
>over that of the freely grown common yard plant Papaver Somniferum (Opium
>Poppy ---also yielding more kg oil/hectare than hemp) will sometime make a
>hysterically funny movie....oh, yeah, it already exists: Reefer Madness...
>
>-Myles Twete, Portland

Rent DVDs Online-No late fees! Try Netflix for FREE!
http://us.click.yahoo.com/XfSp7B/XlOFAA/46VHAA/FGYolB/TM