Hi Hakan

There isn't any humus in linseed oil. Triglycerides and some other
stuff, but no humus. Once it's dried (or cured - is there a
difference Greg?) it's pretty inert.

>Hi Keith,
>
>Well in that case I mean humus as in soil and this is
>why you have to wash sand and gravel if it contains
>humus, before you use it in concrete. That is why I wanted
>to see the experiments referred to in the link,
>http://www.flaxcouncil.ca/flaxind7.htm
>not because I say that it cannot be used, but I want to be
>sure. Humus breaks down the concrete and I hate to see
>that happen around reinforcement bars, that are dependent on
>a good fixation to the concrete.

You could write to the Flax Council and ask:
[EMAIL PROTECTED]

It says: "A testing program completed at the University of Hong Kong
in 1996, proved conclusively that linseed oil-based preservatives
extend and enhance the life of concrete. Linseed oil-based
preservatives have significant potential in areas such as Hong Kong
and other parts of southeast Asia. These regions have high
concentrations of real estate which is principally concrete."

There's more information here:
http://www.agr.gc.ca/cb/news/1996/n60626ae.html
Successful concrete preservative test opens major Asian market

"The testing program was conducted at the University of Hong Kong by
Professor Y.K. Cheung, Pro-Vice Chancellor and Head of Engineering,
and one of southeast Asia's most senior engineers. The program leader
was Dr. H.C. Chan, head of the Civil Engineering Laboratory, at the
University of Hong Kong. The University of Manitoba supported the
project through the work of Dr. Sami Rizkalla, president of
Intelligent Sensing for Innovative Structures (ISIS) Canada and
professor of civil engineering. The testing equipment was designed
and constructed by the University's engineering team under Dr.
Rizkalla's leadership."

That will have been high-quality work.

This is the Hong Kong research report: "Xie, Y., Kwan, A.K.H., Chan,
H.C. and Rizkalla, S.H. Linseed oil-based concrete surface treatment
for building and highway structures in Hong Kong. Transactions, Hong
Kong Institution of Engineers, Hong Kong, Hong Kong Institution of
Engineers, 1999, 6 (1): 36 - 41."

>One other sample is that old habit by construction workers to
>use concrete floors, before they finished the curing process,
>or mixing buckets, as urinary. Very dangerous and things that
>was stopped in Sweden 30 years ago, but I have still seen in
>Spain. To complete the curing process,  (we call it burning,
>directly translated from Swedish), takes much longer than
>most people think.I have also seen damages from this, that
>destroyed costly insulation or load carrying constructions.
>
>I want to be very clear about that I do not know, if there are
>any adverse effects from linseed oil. If not, I want to know
>that this is investigated. When it comes to carrying concrete
>constructions, I prefer to know than assume. I am a little bit
>scary about this things, since I have seen some bad samples
>of mistakes and/or unqualified use of materials.

HKU's Civil Engineering dept is pretty good. I think Hong Kong has
seen perhaps all possible permutations of bad building practices by
now, with some fairly horrific consequences. As a result, for quite a
long time already, they've had a high level of expertise in
investigations, setting standards and controls, in the universities
and in government too. I don't think they'll be making any rash
mistakes with anything that could affect concrete load factors.

I can't help wondering why they didn't try tung oil instead, which is
more local at least. No Canadian subsidies maybe.

Best

Keith