Please respond to biofuel@yahoogroups.com

To:    biofuel@yahoogroups.com
cc:
Subject:    Re: [biofuel] Radiant heating (was: steel roofing)

>I was thinking about maybe a raised floor (crawlspace) using "engineered
>wood products" (I-joists) spanning a perimeter foundation. Subfloor could
>be Oriented Strand Board or something similar, then a radiant heating
system
>set into a thin-slab on top of that. Might be a good compromise --
>less concrete
>overall, more wood than a slab floor, but at least wood from small
scrappier
>trees, and easy access to the plumbing, sewer lines, and wiring
underneath.

>What do you folks think? (BTW, there sure seems to be a lot of expertise
in
>this group on the subject of house construction!  Please keep it
>coming...  :-))

Take a look at steel joists. A lot cheaper and stronger than engineered
wood joists. Dietrich Industries outside Chicago has what they call a trade
ready floor system. Very nice. Spans greater distances than wood can as
well. Also be aware of the out-gassing of chemicals used to manufacture OSB
(oriented strand board). Cheers, Joe.