No waste. Local. Sane. And it works well. "... one of the first steps
toward being a socially responsible business is to have ties to the
locality."

Keith

http://www.yesmagazine.org/23livingeconomy/dressel.htm

breaking down buildings, building up a neighborhood

by Holly Dressel

When Shane Endicott was 27, he wrestled with a crisis that haunts
many adults. He'd spent his early years amassing skills and was now
ready to embark on a profession that would define his adult work
life. He wanted to make a living that would support his new family,
but he didn't want to spend his life making rich people richer. He
believed in doing work that would provide benefits for his
neighborhood as well as himself. He wanted to work someplace where
everyone had an equal say and similar values. And he especially
wanted to avoid producing anything that would create more dangerous
wastes or use up more natural resources.

Endicott's work ethic sounds not just idealistic, but positively
quixotic; it flies in the face of every rule society teaches us about
business life in the modern world. But today, Endicott and his work
crew are grossing nearly $2 million a year supporting their families
and watching their dreams turn into reality. In a business Endicott
and his partners have built from the ground up, the Rebuilding Center
in Portland, Oregon, is living up to all the demands he had about
work. They are also doing it within a well-established but under-used
business model-the nonprofit.

Endicott had always been interested in the construction and
demolition business. But he and his partners did not want to emulate
demolition as it is usually done. He says he didn't want to "crunch
and dump, grind up all that useful wood, metal, and brick and dump it
in a landfill, then go out and chop down more trees and mine more
iron to build something else." Instead, the Rebuilding Center
demolishes, by hand, wooden or brick houses, guts entire apartment
buildings, or removes built-ins like old kitchen cabinets for reuse.
The Center renews the used building materials and sells them to the
public at half the cost of retail or less.

Rebuilding ideas: economy and community
Endicott and his partners understood that one of the first steps
toward being a socially responsible business is to have ties to the
locality. They were located in an economically depressed area of
northeast Portland. While the neighborhood needed job opportunities,
it also needed a sense of itself as a viable community.

Starting with a $15,000 private loan, Endicott, his partners, and
several volunteers worked for a few months out of a garage. Now,
after four years, they're still in the neighborhood. They've expanded
to a half-block-long building, stuffing it with recycled building
materials. Humming with the activities of 36 full-time employees, it
attracts customers from all over the city who come to get good deals
on everything from toilets and light fixtures to roofing and door
frames.

About 80 percent of the Rebuilding Center staff comes from the
surrounding neighborhood. Because no expensive, oil-demanding
machines are used, the Center employs three to six times more people
than mechanized demolition companies; and they still do the job for
less money while paying their employees considerably higher wages.
Wages start at $10 an hour for the most unskilled labor (like
shifting bricks or pulling nails) with regular reviews and wage
increases, plus full medical and dental coverage. "We didn't want [to
be] the kind of nonprofit that appeals to people's ideals and then
doesn't pay a living wage," says Endicott. "We also didn't want the
kind of inequalities you find in many businesses. One of our goals
was to raise the bar for unskilled labor and lower the bar in
management to level out the inequalities found in most pay scales."

Workers are treated like full business partners; everyone, including
the director, gets the same single vote on work-related issues, and
potential workers are hired by the people they'll be working with.
With principles like these, the employees and their families aren't
the only ones who have felt the effect. After just two years of
existence, the Center was being hailed by the local neighborhood
paper as"an anchor that's revitalizing the local economy."

Environmentally friendly
Besides revitalizing the economy, the Rebuilding Center's key tenet
for social responsibility is to help protect the Earth. They've
adopted a closed-loop cycle for building materials that reuses
everything down to, as Endicott says, "a two-foot length of
nail-studded two-by-four." Because of this, they've diverted millions
of pounds of still-useful materials from overflowing landfills every
year, and they prevent more raw materials from being extracted.

"And even more importantly, we value the energy in that porcelain
sink, even the gyprock," says Endicott. "We help that energy, that
was once alive, to go on giving." Although the Center is now so
successful it could ship high-end items like oak doors or repaired
stained glass to distant markets, the staff has refused to do so,
believing that burning fossil fuels for shipping out of state would
negate the point of their enterprise.

Uniting the neighborhood
After everyone's paid a decent wage and all the bills are paid,
there's usually money left over. If not needed to improve or expand
the business, the money is paid out to the public. "With our surplus,
we try inspiring various community projects, which is what Our United
Villages, does," says Endicott. The inspiration for Our United
Villages (OUV) started with Endicott (before he'd even established
the Center) when he and a few neighbors met to discuss a local
12-year-old who was stealing in the neighborhood. They discovered
that the youth badly needed braces, which his family couldn't afford.
The whole neighborhood decided to chip in and buy them for him. Now,
the youth not only abstains from acts like stealing, but prevents
other youths from doing the same. "It's not that we aren't having
things stolen from the neighborhood anymore, but that we have a
different relationship with him and the community," says Endicott.

With that, the neighborhood started discussing other ideas. Neighbors
could learn how to make jam from the older folks. Kids might perform
odd jobs such as mowing a neighbor's lawns in exchange for
locally-donated funds from a tax-deductible scholarship trust.

While ideas were flowing, locals found that they weren't easy to
implement. "I realized that there was an amazing amount of ideas and
passion but no cultural outlet for them," says Endicott. To create
this outlet, he helped establish an organization that would foster
community dialogue and activity-Our United Villages. Endicott had
always envisioned the Rebuilding Center as the means for creating OUV
but only recently have profits grown enough to get it going. Endicott
is optimistic that with OUV now established, many ideas can finally
be realized.

"We used to think we could attain quality of life individually, by
making more money," Endicott says. "But with our water and air
increasingly polluted and so many people isolated and unhappy, the
only way we'll get that quality of life is to evolve new ways to do
business and to live together in communities that are value-based,
not money-based."

Holly Dressel is co-author of Good News for a Change and From Naked
Ape to Superspecies. She has been a writer and researcher for
television, film, and radio for 20 years.