Hi Keith

Totally agree, community bio-culture,
for food/energy requirements keeps transport down reduces fuel used,and
minimises waste,

evolution not revolution

Regards,

dD

biofuel@yahoogroups.com wrote:

<
<  Abandon this top-down, decentralized, think-big view and instead do
<  everything to encourage small-scale, local production, from backyards
<  up, including coops and on-farm operations, and I think the picture
<  would be rather a different one.
<
<  Keith
<
<
<  http://www.planetark.org/dailynewsstory.cfm/newsid/19036/story.htm
<
<  Canada ethanol plants need federal help-industry
<
<  CANADA: December 13, 2002
<
<  WINNIPEG, Manitoba - Lack of startup capital and marginal returns
<  could put the brakes on plans to expand Canada's ethanol industry,
<  despite an optimistic outlook announced in one Prairie province.
<
<  The Manitoba government said it will consider fostering the industry
<  by mandating the use of cleaner ethanol-blended gasoline in the
<  province.
<
<  But unless the federal government creates more appealing tax
<  incentives, similar to those available for U.S. ethanol producers,
<  plans in Manitoba and other parts of Canada will stall, said Bliss
<  Baker, president of the Canadian Renewable Fuels Association.
<
<  "Without these additional incentives, I suspect we will not have much
<  of an ethanol industry - period - in the future," Baker told Reuters.
<
<  The lobby group met with federal finance officials this week to plead
<  for Ottawa to double tax incentives to 20 Canadian cents (13 U.S.
<  cents) a litre in the next federal budget, due in February.
<
<  U.S. incentives equal to 23 Canadian cents a litre have helped boost
<  that market enough to spur the opening of one new ethanol plant each
<  month this year, Baker said.
<
<  Five Canadian plants currently produce about 235 million litres (62
<  million U.S. gallons) a year of the high-octane, water-free alcohol
<  made from grain, and import another 100 million litres annually from
<  the United States.
<
<  Ethanol-blended gasoline emits lower levels of greenhouse gases. By
<  2010, Ottawa wants a third of Canadian gasoline to contain ethanol as
<  part of its plan to implement the Kyoto protocol.
<
<  That would create an annual market for 1.33 billion litres of
<  ethanol, Baker said.
<
<  But current returns on ethanol production are "marginal, at best,"
<  Baker said, meaning investors and banks are reluctant to sink money
<  into plants that cost C$100 million ($64 million) on average.
<
<  "Our view is we can't get there without some type of initial
<  incentives to help finance plants," Baker said.
<
<  MANITOBA SAYS WANTS TO BECOME LEADER
<
<  Manitoba, the province that was home to the country's first ethanol
<  plant 20 years ago, could produce up to 140 million litres a year,
<  according to a government-commission study released this week.
<
<  "We've intentionally focused on an approach that would maximize local
<  investment and economic benefits for rural Manitoba," said Garth
<  Manness, head of Credit Union Central, who led the study.
<
<  But it will cost more to produce ethanol in Manitoba than in the
<  neighboring province of Saskatchewan, or nearby states like Minnesota
<  and South Dakota, a prominent agricultural economist told Reuters.
<
<  That's because Manitoba farmers don't grow enough wheat and would
<  have to import feed to supply both hog farms and ethanol plants, said
<  Daryl Kraft of the University of Manitoba.
<
<  "The only caution I have is to the investors who are going to put
<  their money into these processing facilities: they better proceed
<  with due diligence," Kraft said.
<
<  Manness said farmers would grow more feed wheat if they could access
<  higher-yielding varieties, currently unavailable in Canada.
<
<  Story by Roberta Rampton
<
<  REUTERS NEWS SERVICE
<
<
<  Biofuel at Journey to Forever:
<  http://journeytoforever.org/biofuel.html
<
<  Biofuels list archives:
<  http://archive.nnytech.net/
<
<  Please do NOT send Unsubscribe messages to the list address.
<  To unsubscribe, send an email to:
<  [EMAIL PROTECTED]
<
<  Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/