Hi MM

> >Fuel alcohol has returned to favor following a record cane crop,
> >sharp rise in oil prices this year

Complicated, I wish I knew more about it - complex stuff about
subsidies and whether they were a "good thing" or not (not that the
petro companies ever get subsidies of course!), big success stories
and then negative ones, and pressure from the domestic oil industry.
Very hard to see the thing straight without going there and getting
mud on your boots at the local level.

This is from the archives, two years ago:

"In 1984 Brazil decided to go the anhydrous ethanol route. It set up
vehicle mix standards for manufacturers, and made available (until
1997) a subsidy of 140 million dollars to anhydrous ethanol (ae)
manufacturers.In a country with 140 million people this is mere
chickenfeed.

"Since then Brazil has manufactured close to six million vehicles
that run on straight 100% ae. These include over seven hundred
thousand trucks and farm tractors, and some twelve thousand buses.

"All manufacturers, and that includes Ford and GM, have a line-up of
ae powered vehicles... All Brazilian gasoline has a minimum of 24% ae
(v/v) content, and this will probably be upped to 26% in the near
future."

>".... and development of new engine technologies to use ethanol."
>
>I wonder what this last comment is in reference to?  Has there been
>real progress in efficiency or power levels in using ethanol in
>engines?

Not that I know of. Maybe someone with Brazilian mud on their boots
will enlighten us.

Best