>>I mean, I'm
>>not sure, but I think an anti-alt-fuel story based on falsehood can
>>come from someone who doesn't necessarily do it for any clear payoff
>>or anything.  They may simply think it just generally goes with what
>>they see as their organization's establishment anti-progressive
>>agenda, and they think they can get away with it, and somehow be
>>rewarded without asking for payment-in-advance, because the interests
>>they serve are just so powerful and wealthy and obvious.
>>
>>Just a theory.
>
>Spot on.

PS:  a little looking around shows that it is hard to nail down if the
smh is a Murdoch paper, but it looks like the answer might be more or
less "no".  The publication I ran into last summer was a Murdoch
tabloid.

http://www.ifex.org/alerts/view.html?id=10303

At first glance the smh is a "Fairfax" paper, not a news corporation
paper.

A history of fairfax is here:

http://www.ketupa.net/fairfax2.htm

Here is the list of newscorporation papers, which does not include the
SMH.

http://www.newscorp.com/operations/newspapers.html

Lachlan Murdoch, the son, works for Newscorp, interviewed in smh, not
a newscorp paper:

http://www.smh.com.au/articles/2002/03/22/murdochfeat.htm

This story is one I couldn't figure out.  It tried to lend some
perspective last year.  Fairfax and the possible carving up of it is
mentioned:

http://media.guardian.co.uk/rupertmurdoch/story/0,11136,604953,00.html