Greg wrote:
> This is somthing that I have been interested in for some time now, and have
> been looking for more info, as to how to set things up ( like how to build a
> tread mill, or a cage wheel ).

 I know in some Public & University Libraries I've seen old books
 and magazines speak to your interests.  The late ninetieth
 century reproduced mail order catalogs are also on the
 shelves with patent numbers.....

 I received in the mail:
> >  When the oil runs low, there's always Muscle Power.  The
> >  March 2002 Issue of Natural History had an article based on the book
> >  "Prime Mover: A Natural History of Muscle" by Steven Vogel.

 After a bit of searching the article above can be reviewed at --

 Natural History [magazine]
 MARCH   2002
 VOLUME   111
 NUMBER   2
 A short history of muscle-powered machines:
 what goes around comes around--and does useful work.
 Author/s: Steven Vogel
 http://www.findarticles.com/cf_0/m1134/2_111/83553543/print.jhtml

 Biologist Steven Vogel ("A Short History of Muscle-Powered Machines" page 84)
 --who has worked at Duke University since 1966, after finishing graduate
 work at Harvard--has focused his career on biological fluid mechanics.  Along
the
 way he has studied how tiny insects fly, how moving squid refill between jet
 pulses, how burrows can be made to self-ventilate, how air passes through giant
 silkmoth antennae, and how leaves cope with problems of solar heating in very
 low winds and with drag in high winds (see his Natural History article
 "When Leaves Save the Tree" September 1993).  In his forties he developed an
 addiction to book writing from which he hasn't recovered; the results so far
 include Life in Moving Fluids, Life's Devices, Vital Circuits,
 Cats' Paws and Catapults, and Prime Mover: A Natural History of Muscle.

 AS A SIDE NOTE --
 Steven Vogel is James B. Duke Professor of
 Biology at Duke University. He works÷with
 both mind and muscle÷in the rapidly growing
 area of biomechanics, looking at such diverse
 problems as how leaves protect themselves in
 high winds and how animals contrive burrows
 that self-ventilate. He is the author of many
 books, including the prize-winning Cats' Paws
 and Catapults, which compares nature's
 mechanical designs with our own.
 http://www.wwnorton.com/catalog/fall01/002126.htm

 ADDITIONAL BOOK REVIEWS

 July-August 2002
 Books - Prime Mover: A Natural History of Muscle, By Steven Vogel.
 Norton Press, 2001. 370 pages, $12.95
 http://www.dukemagazine.duke.edu/dukemag/issues/070802/depbks.html

 Cats' Paws and Catapults:
 Mechanical Worlds of Nature and People
 By Steven Vogel. W. W. Norton, 1998. 382 pages.
 http://www.dukemagazine.duke.edu/alumni/dm18/books.html
 If you like reading John McPhee, Diane Ackerman, and Stephen
 Ambrose, you'll love reading Steven Vogel. The previously dry
 academic fields of the sciences, history, and biography are now
 publishing darlings as a talented group of witty, accessible,
 articulate authors make their turf user-friendly to the lay reader.
 Vogel gets our attention, writes persuasively, and tells some great
 stories.