----- Original Message -----
From: robert luis rabello <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

> I agree, but this will not happen when people believe, rightly or wrongly
> that heavy cars are safer.  Also it would be just as much help if people
> stopped moving further away from work (unless they telework or travel by
> train) and taking jobs that require longer commuting drives. Cheap fuel
> encourages this behaviour.
> Malcolm

You bring up intelligent points, but the issues aren't always so clear cut.

In our case the decision to move far away from work had less to do with
cheap fuel than cheap land.  We simply couldn't afford to live close to
where I work, as the properties there were running better than $50 000 more
expensive than the lot we bought.  Even if fuel was twice the price, I could
buy a LOT of it for the difference.  (Trust me, we agonized over this
decision!)

Here's how the math works...