Please help to distribute this letter to your friends and foes.
Link to this letter: http://energy.saving.nu/biofuels/kazman.shtml

Open letter to Mr. Sam Kazman about SUV interview at CNN.
Competitive Enterprise Institute, CEI

I saw you on CNN Insight and it was a real show performance, but
unfortunately very thin on factual information. I am from Sweden, a country
well recognized for its successful security policies to combat fatalities
in road accidents. I was very disturbed by your opinions in the CNN
interview. Further research on you and your organization by looking at
Internet information, did not make me less disturbed. I only discovered
ignorance and an unbelievable political use of the natural laws that
supposed to fit the arguments.

http://www.cei.org/ (your organization)
http://www.cei.org/dyn/view_bio.cfm/45 (you)
http://www.prwatch.org/improp/cei.html (what a reasonable watch dog
organization says about you)
http://energy.saving.nu/biofuels/oildependencies.shtml (what we say about
oil dependencies)

It is only a few questions that I like to get covered about SUV and your
position. Since you pose in such a convincing way as expert, you should be
able to answer at least a few of them, if not all.

The U.S. government has a $35,000 tax rebate on SUVs, which to me looks
completely insane and contradictory to any oil independence policy.

- How can U.S. government justify such a tax rebate, with the talk about
lessening the oil dependency?

- How can you claim that SUV is the American people's choice, knowing that
it is a tax rebate that in some cases cover around 75% of the price of a
SUV that makes them so attractive to purchase? Wouldn't that make SUVs the
American government's choice?

- Suppose somebody, like me for example, would claim that this looks like a
hidden subsidy to the American car industry and as such is against WTO
rules. This based on availability and possible planning advantages in favor
of the US domestic industry. What would be your answer?

- US Automotive industry is quite honest about the typical buyers of SUV
today. Considering this it can hardly be argued that the tax rebate for SUV
can fall in any category of professional special utility vehicle. How would
you argue it?

- If I say that the tax rebate looks more like a corruption issue, what
would be your answer based on facts?

In the military I had extensive training in driving off road vehicles in
both on and off road environment. I also heard that the procedures and
demands are the same in the US military. To sign out an off road vehicle
you have to do the following,

1. Show that you have gone through a special training in driving and

2. Make a technical inspection of the vehicle and especially tires.

Many off road vehicles like the SUV have very special characteristics that
make them behave differentially than a normal car. The high center of
gravity can make them quite dangerous, especially on road in higher speeds.
In Europe we have a driving license that is divided in 3 classes for
motorbikes and 10 classes for automobiles, trucks and buses. To have a
complete license, as I have, you have go trough 5 different exams. A
license for a normal automobile is valid for car and trailer up to a
nominal weight of 3,500 kg (including maximum load figures).

The published figures for SUV accidents in the US now start to show some
specifics that are alarming.

- Roll over fatal accidents for SUVs are several times higher than for
normal automobiles. Given these statistics and the experiences and demands
from the military, don't you think that a special training and license are
necessary for the public also?

- Because of lesser safety demands in the construction (collision zones) of
SUVs, their weight that in many cases are 4,000 kg (8,800 lbs) or higher
and their height, the accidents involving SUVs show higher fatality rates
for third party in collisions. This especially true for front to side
collisions. Don't you think that it should be stricter safety concerns for
SUV than for normal automobiles instead of the opposite?

- The government through the military is very aware of all the special
risks with this type of vehicles. Don't you think that the government
directly is responsible if they neglect to take precautionary actions or at
least demand the same rules for military and civil use?

I also have some additional questions. In the CNN interview you claimed
that the SUVs were necessary because their space and load capacity, also
that the US public did not have any choices since automobiles was smaller
than before.

- Given the special characteristics of an SUV, specifically that it is more
sensitive to how you load it and how much you load it; are you aware that
with safety concerns, the SUV might have lower safe load capacity than the
normal car?

- US have a very broad range of mini vans and mini buses. They are safer
and have higher load capacity than SUVs. Since you are living in US and
know this, how could you claim that it was no alternative to SUVs?

Finally a more personal issue that I am curious about, concerning your
support of SUVs. Considering the disastrous fuel economy, the questionable
tax rebates and foremost the now statistically proven higher fatality rates
for accidents involving SUVs.

Do you sleep well during the night? Your attitudes and arguments had and
will have direct impact on life or death for much more people than 9/11.
Are you sure that you represent views that save lives or do you contribute
in ending more lives? Quite an awesome responsibility, especially when
accident statistics now start to mirror the truth. If you are wrong and
statistically it looks like it, did you only do your job and "followed
instructions" or were you in charge of it?

Hakan Falk
http://energysavingnow.com/

Please help to distribute this letter to your friends and foes.
Link to this letter: http://energy.saving.nu/biofuels/kazman.shtml

If you want to take a look on a project
that is very close to my heart, go to:
http://energysavingnow.com/
http://hakan.vitools.net/ My .Net Card
http://hakan.vitools.org/ About me
http://vitools.com/ My webmaster site
"A truth's initial commotion is directly proportional to
how deeply the lie was believed. It wasn't the world
being round that agitated people, but that the world
wasn't flat. When a well-packaged web of lies has
been sold to the masses over generations, the truth
will seem utterly preposterous and its speaker a raving
lunatic."  -- Dresden James

"No flag is large enough to cover the shame of
killing innocent people" -- Howard Zinn

"Nobody grows old merely by living a number of years.
We grow old by deserting our ideals. Years may
wrinkle the skin, but to give up enthusiasm
wrinkles the soul." - Unknown