malcolm wrote:
> Just the short term, polluting, climate changing, fuel depleting future I
> assume?  Not the long term sustainable future.  I don't think we should be
> supporting the former, even as an interim measure.

 Maybe (?) --
 Ford's Concept multifaceted SUV called the Model U according to
 the media release says,  "It is the Model T of the 21st century" and
 "The hydrogen ICE can act as a stepping stone to hydrogen-fueled
 mass transportation that eventually will incorporate fuel cells."
 http://media.ford.com/article_display.cfm?article_id=14047

 Some features include --
 Reconfigurable Interior and Exterior,
 Optimized Hydrogen Internal-Combustion Engine,
 Green Materials and Processes.

 Green materials include --
 polyester fabric,
 Polylactide or PLA fibers,
 Corn-based fillers for tires,
 Soy-based polyurethane foam & polyester resin,
 Testing a bio-based lubricant from sunflower seeds.

 The "Hydrogen 2.3-liter ICE with supercharging" has a
 Module Hybrid Transmission System with a estimated
 fuel economy of 45 miles per kilogram hydrogen
 (equivalent to 45 mpg) and emissions are PZEV or better.

 "Environmental concerns in manufacturing" are also addressed.
 BP and Shell are mentioned along with several others involved
 with this concept vehicle strategy.

 I think we've all heard bits and pieces about this but
 EREN NETWORK NEWS -- January 8, 2003 tied it together.