----- Original Message -----
From: "Doug Foskey" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: <biofuel@yahoogroups.com>
Sent: Saturday, January 11, 2003 2:12 PM
Subject: Re: [biofuel] RE:Ag subsidies

> On Sat, 11 Jan 2003 07:25, you wrote:
> > I would think that instead of having agricultural subsidies,
> > or paying people NOT to grow things on their land, that
> > we should instead get subsidize them to crow biofuel on their land.
> >
> > Or agree to pay $X per amount of product., if you still want to keep the
> > price of soybeans up.  Paying somone to grow a different crop just
sounds
> > so wrong.
> >
> > anyway.. then we could atleast get more homegrown oil in the market.
> > and how about automakers getting credits for a diesel that has all the
> > plumbing to
> > run on biodiesel AND SVO.
> >
> > Atleast if we took the oil that is produced from the said crops that the
> > gov't paid
> > $X for... that and converted it to biodiesel on the market.. that would
> > atleast lower the
> > price of biodiesel.. that has got to be better than paying to guard
tankers
> > safe travel
> > to the US.. especially since that oil isn't going to local farmers..etc.
> >
> > Paying people, with taxpayer dollars, for *something* is a lesser evil
than
> > paying people, with taxpayer dollars, to do *nothing*.
>
> Sounds good: suggest it to your pollies! (I get very worried when
Australia
> negotiates with US re removing trade barriers: we seem to cop all the
> 'penalties' but the US tries to foist GM crops & subsidised product onto
us
> to compete with our local unsubsidised goods.
> Doug

I'm sure I've read that the USA subsidises a lot, maybe all, of it's
exports. Something like 20 billion I think. Maybe that's relatively small.
I'm not sure how this fits in with WTO rules. Doesn't seem very fair to me.
The USA is also trying to foist GM foods onto Europe, even trying to take
them to some kind of court.