I am new to the forum and this is a note I put on the TDi site.
Currently, I am advising energy firms on biodiesel
production.  I owned one of the first VW Rabbit Diesels in 1978 and
lived in Europe, where I had a Peugeot 405 Turbo Diesel. I am looking
to buy a Tdi or old MB 300SD.

Here is a review of Eurobiodiesel versus Amerobiodiesel.

Global Change Strategies International, Inc. published an excellent
review of North American biodiesel technology, production, supply and
related issues. I covers the issues well, especially the technial
ones on cetane, rape and soy, genetics, processing parameters, etc.

http://www.ec.gc.ca/transport/publications/biodiesel/biodieseltoc.htm

Cetane in soybean oil based methyl ester (SME) is 46.2 and with
rapeseed oil (RME) it is 54.4 and this goes someway to explaining why
VW has issues with US soyoil biodiesel (this assumes high QA
processing).  Also, the cloud point of the SME is higher at 2 C
compared to RME at -2 C.  Essentially, the problem with alkanes in
petroleum diesel and saturates in vegetable oil is the same.  These
chemical homologues are the key to high cetane, but since these are
mixed unsaturates with saturated, they cloud at higher temperatures
than the unsaturates.  Same with paraffins and olefins in crude oil.

Also, a good standard measure to separate the two is Iodine Value
(IA) as the Europeans are using 115 max (DIN 53241 Part 1), which
could be a way to segregate as SME tends to be higher (117-143),
hence less cetane, power, etc. compared to RME at 94-120.

Also, the Europeans do not suffer cold winters as we North Americans
do, so they are looking at variable quality feedstocks from fryer oil
wastes and tallow as well as ethyl esters.  With our cold weather
potentials, we need lower molecular weights from mono-alkyl esters
with higher unsaturates, especially for older diesel engines and
injection systems that can withstand low QA.

I believe that VW is concerned that too many homebrewers
of biodiesel will hurt themselves handling methanol and caustic soda
(read Á¡litigation prone USAÁ±) making poor quality biodiesel that
would damage the TDi engines.  Until the North Americans develop
stronger QA in manufacturing, VW will no doubt keep its concerns
known.  As a former Eurocarowner, the US weakness is always QA.  As
the homily goes, "the Germans make an engineer's car, the Italians, a
designer's, the French, a car of comfort, the British did luxury and
the Americans, well, they sure make a lot of them."

With B20 these issues are technical points, as the key component
remains petroleum aromatics and olefins.  However, lower US cetane is
becoming an issue, ULSD will yet lower cetane.  Biodiesel adds
excellent cetane to petroleum diesel.

Hope this helps.  I look forward to contributing to the
forum on issues of oil processing.  I see a bright future of cleaner
fuels run in high technology diesel engines.  Eventually, the US
which is 99% wholesale and fleet oriented, will demand high QA diesel
and biodiesel and blends. It is long overdue.

--- In biofuel@yahoogroups.com, Hakan Falk <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> Sounds a little bit stupid, since the European warranty does not
specify or
> have reference to feed stock. Probably someone who does not really
know
> anything about it. Could be a US political issue. So write to the
parent
> and ask, why they have different policies and do not consider the
fast
> growing use of biodiesel in US.
>
> Hakan
>

> At 04:36 PM 1/13/2003 -0600, you wrote:
> >This is the response I got concerning biodiesel and it voiding the
> >powertrain warranty.
> >

> > >From: VIC Web Responses <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
> > >To: "'[EMAIL PROTECTED]'" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
> > >Subject: RE: Product Information 1/13 db
> > >Date: Mon, 13 Jan 2003 17:26:53 -0500
> > >
> > >Dear Brian,
> > >
> > >Thank you for visiting the Volkswagen Web site.  We appreciate
your inquiry
> > >on Volkswagen's position on using biodiesel fuel.
> > >
> > >B100 stands for 100% biodiesel.  It is a diesel fuel derived
from biomass
> > >feedstock such as soybeans.  It can be blended with regular
diesel fuel
> > >(B20
> > >= 20% biodiesel/80% regular diesel, for example).  In Europe our
diesel
> > >engines are certified to operate any blend of the biodiesel that
is
> > >available in Europe.  European biodiesel is different than
biodiesel in the
> > >U.S. since it is produced from different feedstock (the rapeseed
plant
> > >versus the soy plant).
> > >
> > >Our parent company does not agree with the specifications for
biodiesel in
> > >the U.S. and does not recommend its use in any percentage. Using
biodiesel
> > >will invalidate our warranty.
> > >
> > >If you have any further questions or concerns, please contact
Volkswagen