>Mark - very interesting side issue - urban and peri urban agriculture.
>Should food be grown in cities with high levels of air pollution that
>precipitates onto the plants....or perhaps we should think also in
>terms of growing fuel instead (mustard, sunflowers, etc.) in these
>urban and periurban spaces, and grow th food where the air is already
>cleaner. Over time, the urban area itself could perhaps grown more
>renewable oil fuel, use the presscake as fertilizer, clean up sites
>with mustard (phytoremediation), use mustard presscake pellets as
>natural pesticide...and use the biofuels to also burn in the diesels of
>course, cleaning up the air. Sorry about the run on sentence!
>
>Ed

This is certainly a valid concern. First, the more green (leaf-area)
a city has, the cleaner the air - plants definitely have this effect.
So grow more plants, green every available space, and particularly
with roof gardens (they save huge amounts of energy). That also makes
for a much more pleasant city, and it can easily be made to have a
knock-on effect (ie to more pedestrianization - yuk, what a word!).
I've talked a bit before about urban planting schemes focusing on
biofuel plants rather than pretties, with the utility fleets the
prime market - I think this has a lot of potential.

As far as air-pollution and city food are concerned, first (also said
before), an enormous amount of food is produced worldwide in city
farms, often in very polluted cities. It's mostly organically grown,
using city wastes (composted, or fed to a pig or chickens and the
manure composted), and it has a radical effect on waste disposal
problems, which might not be manageable in some or many cities
without the city farms (and yet city farmers are often harassed by
city hall, rather than aided and abetted). So, for a start, these
people are eating organically raised food from healthy soil (healthy
soil life, that is, the "soil food web"); it will have good mineral
content and good protein synthesis, which the alternative,
chemically-grown "industrial" food, will probably not have (if they
can even afford to buy it). It follows that their nutritional status
will enable them to resist pollution better. Two immediate types of
pollution (as well as all the other types): in the city food, soil
and plant pollution derived from the polluted air; in the
industrial-food alternative, pesticide pollution, which is rather
more severe than generally acknowledged, especially in 3rd World
countries, but that's so in all countries (see recent studies in the
UK, for instance).

I'd go for the city food - the food is better, it will help my
resistance, and the pollution may be less severe.

There's another factor. A series of tests was conducted in Britain in
the 80s with composting, comparing lead pollution of plants grown in
heavily composted plots and in control plots without compost, both in
fairly secluded urban areas and in areas that were heavily exposed to
nearby traffic pollution. The experiment wasn't finalized for various
reasons, but the results were interesting just the same - the heavily
composted plots seemed to allow both the soil-life and the plants to
"buffer" the pollution, the indications were that it resulted in
significantly less pollutants in the plants. That makes sense, for a
number of reasons.

That was in the bad old days of lead. We're still in the bad old days
of far too many other things, some of them maybe worse than lead.
Still, I'd say that city food is only a no-no in the very worst areas.

Please note, though, that "compost" means thermophilic aerobic
compost, not a smelly mess of putrified garbage. It's properly made,
it gets hot (60 deg C plus - 140 deg F) and stays that way for a
couple of weeks, it's been turned so that all of it has been through
the heat. Either that, or vermicompost (with red worms). If you want
to know how it's done, start here:
http://journeytoforever.org/compost.html
Composting

Last, with glycerine, or rather glycerine/soap/catalyst, if you mix
it with enough "browns" (dry stuff) to get the moisture content and
aeration right, and don't use too much, so your compost gets hot and
works as it should, the pH won't matter much, it will adjust and the
finished compost should emerge at pH 6.5 or so.

Best

Keith