>Don't kid yourself. In the US the price at the pump might be lower,
>but you're paying a lot more than that in various subsidies and so
>on, largely hidden.

http://www.nytimes.com/2003/01/28/business/28HYBR.html

A Toyota North American "Executive Vice President" seems sold on the
point:

>To Japanese-based carmakers, the choice is clear from an environmental
>standpoint. Hybrids are "the solution for today," said James E. Press,
>executive vice president of Toyota Motor Sales U.S.A.
>
>"What's the cost of fuel?" he said. "It's not $1.80 a gallon. It's how much
>does a war in Iraq cost? How much does the fact you've got 75 years of this
>stuff left on the planet cost? And then what's the cost of pollution? At some
>point, the industry has to recognize it."

Of course, this makes him neither right nor wrong.  I would disagree
extremely with this insulting comment, for example, from the President
of Toyota:

>If debate continues on hybrids, some clarity is emerging on other alternative
>technologies. The future seems notably dim for battery powered cars, whose
>batteries do not last very long and take hours to recharge.
>
>"At the moment I think it's being put to rest," said Fujio Cho, the president
>of Toyota, adding that his company is "hardly selling any."

One is left with the impression that the company tried its darndest
and was unable to sell vehicles.

In fact, the company sold *all* of the few hundred vehicles it
allotted for public consumption (and made available to only about 7 or
8 percent of the American population), and it did so so quickly that
they are now backed up trying to finish filling the orders.