Mark writes:

>Could somebody give me some info on how the results (in ml) of the
>crude titration that we do for biodiesel making correlate with ffa
>content (in percent).

I depends on the molecular weight of the FFA, which of course depends
on the type of oil.  One gram of NaOH will neutralize about 7 g of oleic
acid, which would be a typical FFA for the oils we use. So if your oil
titrates at 1 ml using 0.1% NaOH solution, you have 7 g of oleic acid
per liter (say 920 g) of oil, or 0.77% FFA.

If you had some rancid rapeseed oil, high in free erucic acid (higher
molecular weight), each ml of NaOH solution in your titration would
be 0.92% FFA. If coconut with free lauric acid (lower mol wt.), 1 ml
equals only 0.54% FFA.