----- Original Message -----
From: "Appal Energy" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: <biofuel@yahoogroups.com>
Sent: Friday, February 14, 2003 18:17
Subject: Torture Tactics - Yes, in America was Re: [biofuel] Re: The oil in
Iraq

> > Fur Free Friday at 7th and Nicollett in Minneapolis Minnesota,
> the
> > day after thanksgiving 1999.  Protesters who were chained
> together
> > were placed in a choke hold by law enforcement.  Pepper spray
> was
> > administered to a swab and applied to each protester.  There
> was no
> > reason for this other than torture.  I was there, I saw this
> happen.
> > Too bad I did not have a camera.
>
> Same thing, different day....  You should see the movie. (Yes. It
> is on tape.)
> http://www.radioproject.org/transcripts/9926.html

After reading the first incident, it seems to me that they received what
they deserved.  1) They trespassed.  2) They were given a lawful order to
leave and told what would happen if they did not. 3) They refused. 4) They
were given a small example of what would happen. 5) Were *asked* again (
remember this part? Officer: Okay, who's going to release? Are you going to
release? "  6) They still refused to leave. 7) The spray was applied in a
way that was not going to contaminate the office.

The protesters clearly asked for it in this case. It would have been very
easy for them to leave, when they were first asked, then come back later,
and then again and again.  They could have released after the first sample
was applied, but, no they wanted to be martyrs, that is just plain stupid &
dumb to go out of your way to be the martyrs.

> In its report Amnesty International said that "in this instance
> the spray was clearly abusive as it was not used to protect
> officers or others but was applied in a calculated and deliberate
> way to inflict pain as a way of gaining compliance in cases of
> demonstrators who posed no threat."

They were breaking the law, and the officers were trying to get results with
out anyone getting hurt and they still refused. How were the officers to
know it was no threat? I have seen so called peaceful demonstrators injure
police ( that were doing there job ), just because the demonstrator didn't
want to leave, and the police were doing there best not to hurt the
demonstrator.  No, the protesters had a chance to end things peacefully with
out any pain, and then with minimal pain, and they blew it.

> The later half of the program moves off of the intentional abuse
> aspect and towards effectiveness issues.

As for the rest of it, it is only one side, and until the other side of the
story is known, neather I nor anyone else cat make a true assesment.

Greg H.