I wouldn 't recommend determining weight from volume. I also have
bought cheaper scales than that. Ebay is one resource. It sometimes
takes some looking to find them- search under gram balance or triple
balance beam as well as scale there...
flea markets sometimes have stuff like this too. So do pawn shops.
mark