...but not in my mind.....
mark - i went with the reprocess first.  took one liter of biodiesel (the
cloudy stuff I mentioned before) and processed as for virgin oil; 3.5g lye,
200ml methanol.  The biodiesel was at room temperature (80 deg F here) and I
mixed for 20 minutes.  After 4 hours of settling there is roughyl 100 ml of
dark fluid seperated out in the bottom of the jar (methanol and glycerine?)
anf the top layer is quite clear - though there are still droplets falling out.
BTW, Keith, I am also drying the wvo that I washed to see what that does for a
reaction using the titration levels I did before.  I combined the hot/cold wash
method for the oil - e.g. hot oil, room temp distilled water.  Just cause the
oil was already hot and I don't have a way to heat water at my lab on that
scale - just big drum heaters.  I'll post that later.
SO, I am confused about what I did wrong the first time.  I thought that
perhaps my lye was weak, b/c I am in a very hot humid environment, but the
pellets are well sealed and besides, it is the same stuff that I recently made
up a batch of .1% lye water from.  So, perhaps it was the agitation duration?
But then, another twenty minutes wouldn't seem to have really made much
difference (albeit it was twenty minutes with extra ingredients) - I just don't
understand the chemistry well enough.  I am going to try a new batch with 5+
grams NaOH and see what happens.  Might go with 25% meth too.  Any thoughts?
cheers,
jk

Jack Kenworthy
Sustainable Systems Director