Paul:

The safety of innovations, such as irradiated foods, is always based upon the
opinion of the corporate spokesman, or his hired hand in government.  The
corporate mouth monkeys tell you what "a safe level" is, others say none is
safe.

      Liver Cancer: Danger of Radiolytic Products in the Diet
      June 26, 2000

      This scientific materials in this document were prepared by chemist
Jeffrey Reinhardt, M.Sc., co-founder of The National Coalition to Stop Food
Irradiation.

      Summary
        a.. FDA estimates the amount of Radiolytic Products (RP) in foods
irradiated at 100 Krad at 0.3 parts per million (PPM). Source.
        b.. 100 Krad is the maximum permitted dose of irradiation for fruits
and vegetables. Poultry may receive 3 x 100 Krad, red meat may receive 4.5 x
100 Krad, frozen meat may receive 7 x 100 Krad, spices receive 30 x 100 Krad.
Therefore this calculation is a low estimate if people eat a diet containing
irradiated meat and poultry as well as fruits and vegetables.
        c.. Assumes consumption of 7.5 ounces of irradiated foods with an
average water content of 80% (fruits and vegetables range from 75-90%) with 0.3
PPM of RPs. 7.5 ounces is a large serving of fruit or one piece of fruit and
one serving of poultry or meat.
        d.. If only 1 out of 10,000 RP molecules is a potential carcinogen,
co-carcinogen or mutagen, then for every 7.5 ounce meal with 0.3 PPM of RPs,
2,560 potentially carcinogenic or mutagenic RP molecules will contact each cell
in the adult liver. See the entire calculation.
        e.. Irradiation depletes anti-oxidant vitamins in food, which help
regenerate the liver.
        f.. Over a long period of time, the RP assault on the liver combined
with fewer anti-oxidants in the diet will create a "fertile field for the
ultimate growth of cancer cells" and "almost certainly evolve" to produce liver
cancer.
        g.. "Even at one-tenth the concentration of radiolytic products known
by the FDA to be formed by irradiation at 100 Krad, irradiation of foods in the
human diet represents predictably unacceptable risks to the public's health."

      FDA estimate of amount of RPs produced
      "Calculations based on radiation chemistry clearly indicate that
irradiation doses of 100 Krad or less yield a concentration of total radiolytic
products in food that is so limited that it would be difficult to detect and
subsequently measure toxicological properties. In addition, at this dose unique
radiolytic products (URPs) will be on the order of 3 parts per million (PPM),
and since the number of individual URPs is likely to be greater than ten, the
amount of any particular URP will be considerably less than 1 PPM. Finally, our
estimates of URPs may be exaggerated.

      "Hence, because of the low level of total unique radiolytic products
(URPs) produced, it is concluded that food irradiated at doses not exceeding
100 Krad is wholesome and safe for human consumption. This rationale is based
solely on an estimate of the concentration of individual URPs produced by the
radiation dose to the food, and pertains even if a high proportion of the total
human diet is irradiated at 100 Krad."

      p. 16, Recommendations for evaluating the safety of irradiated foods.
Final report, July 1980. Director, Bureau of Foods, FDA.

      ____________________

However, Paul, anyone familiar with homeopathic medicines would wonder at
statements like these.  Homeopathic medicines are made by taking a small amount
of an element, mixing it with a quantity of pure water, boiling the water away,
and then mixing the recovered element in a filler.  The package or bottle will
indicate the strength, such as 6X or 30 X.  30X means that the original element
was mixed in 30,000 times as much pure water.  The water was boiled away.  The
residue was mixed with 30,000 times as much inert filler and made into tiny
pills.

Tests have been done that showed the original element could not be found in the
pill.  Yet in double blind studies done by opponents to homeopathic medicines
they proved these medicines work.  In fact about 16% of the British and French
adhere to homeopaty as their preferred form of health care, including the
British Royal Family.

If a pill containing an untraceable amount of an element can affect your
health, what is a "safe dose" of "Radiolytic Products" that are found in
irradiated foods?   I say 'zero"

EdB