The project ... "may lead to the development of new methods for
carbon sequestration or alternative energy production and will work
to engineer a particular type of microbe that could produce hydrogen,
an important component in our clean energy future"...

http://www.planetark.org/dailynewsstory.cfm/newsid/20582/story.htm

Human gene expert to take on Sargasso Sea

USA: April 28, 2003

WASHINGTON - The scientist best known for leading the crash effort to
sequence the human genetic map won government funding last week to
take on an entire ecosystem - the Sargasso Sea.

The U.S. Department of Energy said it would give Craig Venter $9
million to try to sequence the genomes of every organism his team
could find in the sea, an ellipse of warm, algae-filled waters that
circulates in the Atlantic Ocean from the West Indies past Bermuda to
the Azores.

Venter's nonprofit Institute for Biological Energy Alternatives will
spend $3 million a year for the next three years on the project, U.S.
Energy Secretary Spencer Abraham said.

The project ... "may lead to the development of new methods for
carbon sequestration or alternative energy production and will work
to engineer a particular type of microbe that could produce hydrogen,
an important component in our clean energy future," Abraham said in a
statement.

Venter, who left Celera Genomics Inc. after it raced with publicly
funded researchers to finish the map of the human genome in 2000,
said the high-tech instruments used in that effort would make the new
project possible.

"It's sort of a shotgun sequence of the ocean," said Venter, whose
new venture is based in Maryland near Celera's headquarters and those
of another organization he helped found, The Institute for Genomic
Research.

"We are now trying to see if we can do hundreds of thousands of
organisms simultaneously."

The Sargasso Sea works well because it is considered an ecological
"desert" with relatively little life. Known for its warm, crystalline
waters, the sea is covered with huge, floating mats of sargassum
seaweed, for which it is named.

The project might help explain why the region is so devoid of life -
or whether it is as empty of life as it seems to be, Venter said.
"It's going to start to give us a catalog of what's here," Venter
said in a telephone interview.

"We'll know who's there and what they are doing."

Venter said his team would throw a mixture of organisms from the sea
into IBEA's genome sequencing equipment and see what comes out.

"We will have the first major results by this summer," Venter
predicted. "We will let the computer sort it all out."

He said tests showed that the computers could differentiate the
genome from one organism from that of another, even when the
information was muddled up together.

Story by Maggie Fox, Health and Science Correspondent

REUTERS NEWS SERVICE

Get A Free Psychic Reading!
http://us.click.yahoo.com/cjB9SD/od7FAA/AG3JAA/FGYolB/TM