http://www.tompaine.com/feature.cfm/ID/7632

The Supreme Court vs. The American People
An Interview With Constitutional Scholar Jamin Raskin

Steven Rosenfeld is a commentary editor and audio producer for TomPaine.com.

Jamin Raskin is a professor of constitutional law at American
University. As a public-interest lawyer defending "the right to
democracy," he has represented the Rev. Jesse Jackson, Ross Perot,
Greenpeace, United Students Against Sweatshops and many others.

His latest book, Overruling Democracy: The Supreme Court vs. The
American People, contends the current court is one of the most
activist courts in U.S. history and should not be exempt from
criticism by either candidates for federal office or the public.
TomPaine.com's Steven Rosenfeld spoke with Raskin.

TomPaine.com: You write that the Supreme Court has a very different
view of democracy, democratic institutions, civil rights and
corporate power than that held by most Americans. What do most
Americans believe about their country that is out of sync with the
Supreme Court?

Jamin Raskin: People believe there is a constitutional right to vote.
People believe there is a constitutional right to an education. Most
people assume that states have to guarantee equal funding for public
schools. All of those beliefs are rejected by the Supreme Court.

TP.c: And when you say rejected, what you're talking about here is a
pattern. So when you write that the current Supreme Court is "a
historic disappointment, or in some respects a nightmare," you are
talking about a pattern of decisions, right?

Raskin: It is important to see that the Supreme Court has been a
conservative or reactionary institution for most of our history.

In the 18th century it did nothing to enlarge or deepen democracy. In
the 19th century, it found in the Dred Scott decision that
African-Americans could not be citizens within the meaning of our
Constitution. In 1896, even after equal protection was added to the
Constitution, the Court upheld governmental segregation of public
accomodations. In the 20th century, the court adhered to "separate
but equal" all the way up until 1954. In the first several decades of
the 20th century, it struck down dozens of progressive federal and
state laws regulating the work place and the economy.

So, we had a brief period of progressive constitutionalism during the
Warren Court. The Warren Court spelled out the principle of "one
person, one vote," which should be the organizing principle of
political democracy. The Rehnquist Court has abandoned that vision.

TP.c: When you say that they have abandoned that vision, you are
talking about what kind of decisions?

Raskin: The Supreme Court has repeatedly intervened to deform and
distort the political process. The most spectacular example is Bush
v. Gore. The most interesting part of that decision to me was the
sentence in which the court says there is no federally protected
constitutional right to vote. The Court essentially denied the right
that most people assume is at the heart of democracy. The Court said
that the right to vote in presidential elections really belongs to
the states who can appoint electors, and the Court made it clear that
if Florida or any other state wanted to get rid of the popular vote
or disregard it, they could do so.

TP.c: Just to refresh people's memory, the Court stopped the recount
in Florida, and then it said that counting all the votes would
somehow harm the credibility of the president.

Raskin: Yeah. What happened was the Florida Supreme Court ordered
that 175,000 ballots that were not counted by the machines be counted
by hand, which is the way that every state in the Union performs a
recount. The Supreme Court intervened for the first time in American
history to halt the counting of ballots. The Court said that there
was a hypothetical possibility that certain ballots might be treated
differently in one county than in another. Amazingly, the remedy for
the potential loss of a few votes was the guaranteed
disenfranchisement of tens of thousands of people, and of course this
makes no sense. The court essentially admits that it makes no sense
by declaring that the case has no precedential value for any other
case in the future.

TP.c: You say that behind Bush v. Gore lies "a thick and unprincipled
jurisprudence hostile to popular democracy, and protective of race
privilege and corporate power." Is the Court as classist and racist
as you are describing?

Raskin: Well, it's not back to Plessy v. Ferguson, but it has
returned much closer to the old baseline of Supreme Court politics. I
have a chapter describing the Supreme Court's racial double standard
in redistricting decisions, and this is a line of cases that leads
right up to Bush v. Gore. It started in 1993 with Shaw v. Reno, where
the Supreme Court upheld an equal protection attack by a group of
white voters in North Carolina -- led by a professor of
constitutional law at Duke [University] -- who felt aggrieved by
virtue of being put into a majority black district. They asserted
that equal protection was violated because their district had what
they called "a bizarre appearance" on the map.

Most constitutional lawyers in the country thought this was
ridiculous. After all, the Supreme Court had always said that there
is no constitutional requirement that districts be a perfect circle
or square or triangle, or any recognizable geometric figure. These
white voters in North Carolina had all of the same rights that black
voters had in majority white districts: They have a right to vote,
run for office, to campaign and to contribute money.

It was hard to see even what the injury was, which is something the
Court insists on fanatically whenever minority plaintiffs come before
the court. And yet, amazingly in one of the by now famous 5 to 4
decisions, the conservative block in the court decided that this
equal protection challenge by white voters set forth a valid claim.
The Court has proceeded to dismantle dozens of majority
African-American and Hispanic congressional and state legislative
districts. This has been a major blow to the process of deepening and
strengthening American democracy.

Amazingly, the conservative justices have described the most
integrated districts in the history of many states, such as the
districts in North Carolina, as apartheid or segregated districts. So
there's a kind of moral dyslexia going on in the Court.

TP.c: If you say the Court has been more conservative than the
popular mainstream for most of American history, is this particular
court among the most activist and regressive, or is it somewhat
consistent with [Supreme] Courts in the past?

Raskin: This court is easily as reactionary and activist as the
Lochner Court was, and the Lochner Court is held up as the most
activist Court in our history. But look at the progessive laws that
were stripped down or gutted by the Rehnquist Court: the Violence
Against Women Act, the Age Discrimination and Employment Act, the
Religious Freedom and Restoration Act, the Gun Free School Zones Act,
federal affirmative action policies and so on. The appalling thing is
that, in the name of fighting judicial activism, the Republican party
has engineered the most extreme judicial activism that we have seen
in almost a century.

TP.c: Why hasn't there been more public outcry or criticism of these rulings?

Raskin: Part of it is the cult of the robe. People think that somehow
the Supreme Court is outside of democratic politics. It is not. Bush
v. Gore showed that it can slide from a fairly high level of
ideological politics down into the mud of partisan politics.

We need to demystify the court, and what I hope my book does is to
show people that constitutional reasoning is not a different kind of
thinking, but that it is just regular logical analysis carried over
to law. Anybody can understand it, anybody can read it and everybody
really needs to pay attention. We are really undergoing a full-blown
assault on the institutions of political democracy.

TP.c: Well that's what you write, and ultimately, it is a
constitutional crisis of the sort where the principles that people
think are foundational are not those being upheld by the highest
court.

Raskin: Totally. The country began as a slave republic of Christian
white-male property owners over the age of 21. We have expanded and
deepened democracy only through political struggle and constitutional
amendment. The Reconstruction amendments abolished slavery and gave
us equal protection and black suffrage. The 19th Amendment gave us
women's suffrage. The 17th Amendment gave us direct election of
senators. The 23rd Amendment gave [Washington], D.C. residents the
right to participate in presidential elections. The 24th Amendment
abolished poll taxes. The 26th Amendment lowered the voting age to 18.

The Supreme Court, rather than contributing to democratization, has
usually resisted it at every turn. The great victory of the Warren
Court, as Chief Justice Warren himself said, was the definition of
the "one person, one vote" principle, and the Rehnquist court has
left that principle in tatters. So, with one party control of the
House, the Senate, the White House and the Supreme Court itself, we
need to get back to constitutional basics. This is why I say, we need
to examine the constitutional anatomy of our political maladies
today. We need to get back to constitutional politics.

I think the liberals have turned into the worst constitutional
conservatives, because liberals are afraid about the Flag Desecration
Amendment, the School Prayer Amendment, and the Ten Commandments
Amendment. They want to treat the Constitution like an antique in the
attic that can't be touched by anyone. But that is an undemocratic
way of thinking about the Constitution. Most of our amendments since
the Bill of Rights have been progressive, democracy-enlarging
amendments, and we need to pick up the thread again.

TP.c: Where does that begin, beyond saying that there certainly needs
to be a balance of power in Washington?

Raskin: This may be the occupational hazard of being an academic, but
I do think what we have to start with is ideas. We have to teach
people about the Constitution, and we have to debate it. You know, I
am involved in a constitutional literacy project, where we send law
students into public high schools in Washington, D.C. and Maryland.
We have taught thousands of high school students about constitutional
history, and about the precariousness of democracy.

I had a debate on Monday April 21 with Judge Richard Posner, and
again on April 28 with Judge Posner at the University of Chicago. He
has a new book out on democracy and the Constitution, in which he
argues that democracy is not really about popular empowerment, but
that it is just a mode for selecting different groups of elites to
govern. I applaud his intellectual honesty, because he is
articulating really the vision of democracy that has emerged in the
American establishment today. He does not view democracy as an
historic project of bringing the people to self-government. He views
it simply as a way to give an occasional popular stamp of approval to
technocratic rule. I am trying to reawaken the populist democratic
instincts that we have in America.

Published: Apr 24 2003

http://us.click.yahoo.com/O10svD/Me7FAA/AG3JAA/FGYolB/TM