Accidently sent this to Vern directly.

From:                   Andrew Lowe <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To:                     [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject:                Re: [biofuel] 42,850 Traffic Deaths in 2002
Date sent:              Sat, 26 Apr 2003 19:32:20 +1000

On 26 Apr 2003 at 11:42, [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

> Hi Andrew,
>
> Your point is well made an the USA could do a better job but I think
> you will find that a big part of the reason for the difference in
> the two statistics is the difference in percentage of rural and
> urban driving between the two countries where you have many more
> people (a greater percentage) living in the rural areas where if
> they do

 Slight correction here, contrary to what the "image" of Australia may
be in the rest of the world, wide open spaces, kids ride kangaroo's to
school etc etc, Australia is in fact the most highly, if memory serves
me correctly and if it doesn't it's very near the top, urbanised
country in the OECD. Well over 80% of our population is in a strip
that extends about 100km inland from the eastern coast running
from
just abouve Brisbane, right around to Adelaide.

> something stupid they are a one car accident and in the USA because
> a much greater percentage of our driving is in urban areas when one
> of ours does something stupid he hits someone else to increase the
> probability of more deaths. The amount of cars per capita also plays
> a roll here and I would guess that we have more cars per person than
> you may.

 I think you are wrong on this one as well. Drive around, or if you
are environmentally consious ride, around some of the newer
suburbs in
any of the larger cities and you will find at least two cars in the
driveway. It is quite common for kids upon turning eighteen to
purchase cars. In fact a quick "google" returned the fact that
Australia's car ownership is 627 cars/1000 people whilst the USA, I
could only find 1993 figures so add a few to this figure, was 561
cars/1000 people so I think you will see that car ownerships rates
are
quite similar.

 Living in Melbourne and having driven in all of the major capital
cities in Australia and also having driven in California, San
Francisco, Los Angeles, San Diego, I can tell you that there is no
real difference in the "intensity" of the traffic, it is just that in
LA, it being much bigger, the "intensity" lasts longer.

> Yes we should do better but I do not think they are all that
> comparable.

 I actually think that they are quite comparable ;)

> Have a good day.
>
> Best regards,
> Vern

 'til lata,