When charging a deep-cycle battery, it does not take any more energy (in watt-
hours) to put in the tenth kilowatt-hour than it did to put in the first
kilowatt-
hour (assuming at capacity somewhat larger than 10 kWh).  It may take a higher
voltage (potential difference) to continue the charging as the battery becomes
charged, but voltage is not energy.

(There is an exception at end of charge for certain chemistries, where more
energy
is used to put in the last few percent of the full charge, but this is no
longer
charging, but overcharging, sometimes referred to as equalization.  A smart
charger
reduces charging current accordingly in this situation.)

When you are putting a gas into a pressurized vessel, it does take higher
pressure
to overcome the rising pressure in the vessel.  It is the work required to
create
the higher pressure that takes more energy.

Darryl McMahon

Icarus Solem <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> Hello,
>
> It seems that the same is true for charging a battery system, only in this
> case you are working against the electric potential of the battery cell,
> instead of the mechanical potential of the pressurized system.  If a
> hydrogen tank is initially empty, it takes more energy per unit to fill it
> as the pressure rises.  The same is true for a deep-cycle battery system -
> as you run the electrochemical reation to charge the battery, you have to
> input more energy to run the reaction uphill?  I'm guessing that these
> efficiencies can all be improved - just as the efficiency of biomass to
> ethanol conversion has increased over the years.
>
> Cheers, Karus
>
> On Wed, 30 Apr 2003, martin wrote:
>
> > An electrochemical reaction where the desired product has to be forced
> > out at a relatively high pressure requires more energy to push the
> > reaction over equilibrium.
> >
> > kirk wrote:
> >
> > >I'm not aware of any change in potential with pressure. You have any
> > data to
> > >the contrary?
> > >Kirk

Get A Free Psychic Reading!