On Fri, 30 May 2003 13:40:59 -0700 (PDT), you wrote:

>Let's change this efficiencies idea around and discuss the value of this as to
>the required work needing to be done and what kind of job we did at
>accomplishing it as people.
>
>First, most of us fire up our 2,500 to 6,000 pound 50 to 400 horsepower
>vehicle to give our 200 pound average body a ride to a destination to
>accomplish some purpose which is usually a useful one in our own mind.
>
>Did we consider that we only used 10% or less of the fuel for the purpose we
>required getting accomplished, moving our 200 pound body from point "A" to
>point "B",  with the rest simply moving the vehicle from one place to another
>as a by-product of our goal?
>
>Did we really need that vehicle we chose to accomplish the task?
>
>Was the task considered in conjunction with solving more than one purpose
>therefore better utilizing the vehicle and it's energy cost?
>
>For most of us, the answer is "NO" !!
>
>Now the confusion of asking ourselves  "ARE WE THE PROBLEM" comes face to face
>and we must make a decision; "oh my, now what"??
>
>Think about how we changed the incandescent light bulb and it still fits our
>needs doesn't it? It also costs us about 75% less in energy cost to use it as
>well.
>
>Now, can we do this with our ICE device?
>
>Not until we begin to think differently !!
>
>But, I need my "TRUCK", (usually a pickup), to move things around once in a
>while so that's what I bought.
>
>Ever consider the "HONDA hybrid and 50+ mpg" and rent a pickup for those
>occasional needs kinda like you would with a U-HAUL truck?
>
>This kind of thought will do more for energy than one might think.
>
>Bob

I agree.  Rental of the appropriate vehicle for the appropriate task
can and should be a solution for some people.  For myself, this would
be more viable more often if the costs of insurance and other matters
were not so prohibitive.  Particularly insurance.

http://us.click.yahoo.com/Lj3uPC/Me7FAA/ySSFAA/FGYolB/TM