On vacuum:
Once a vacuum is pulled on the chamber, the power required to pull the
vacuum will be proportional to the rate of withdrawal of mass or volume at
the vacuum pressure.  If you're not pulling off much or any water, there
won't be much change in vacuum, requiring little extra power.

To minimize the power otherwise, limit the amount of space in the chamber
above the liquid to minimize the work required by the vac pump.

Is a waterheater shell thick enough to avoid imploding with much vacuum?
How thick are their shells?  A better alternative might be an ordinary water
pressurization tank---I have one that's about 5feet tall, a little over
2feet diameter and has perhaps 1/4inch thick walls.  It easily handles
positive pressure to 100psi---would likely handle any vacuum which could be
pulled.

-Myles Twete, Portland

Get A Free Psychic Reading!
http://us.click.yahoo.com/cjB9SD/od7FAA/AG3JAA/FGYolB/TM