Hello , dear and respected KEITH  and TODD

  Well
            Thank you all, bringing the composting or biodigestion problems  of
cock tails or purified  glycerin.I am pesonaly against treating glycerin  as
waste, but need to be  treated as raw material  for making soap, making
polishing  adhesivos pastes  with  glycerinated starch, cosmetics formulations
after  simple  seperations outlined by Keith . These are possible to  arrive
at  local market before thinking of disposal as waste . Our biofuel group need
to also have think of bioproducts as  future vision. Thus this liquid  waste
can  be  the  raw material for the production of hih value  biosurfactant  and
high valued yeast  products .These products  can be  obtained  and also has
potencial  in near feature. These several products approach the  fuel, feed,
food fine chemical can  make the  the integrated process more  economical as
well as ecological.One man waste can , other man  rich products and hence good
smallscale indusrial ecology.The Brasilian ethanol  survive
 making not only fuel , but also, sugar the animal feed from  suagre can
bagasse,  fertilizer from  stillage , and  fuel from waste bagasse even in
micro distillary and now also attempting make fish from waste water, all small
scale  INDUSTRIAL ECOLOGY DEVELOPMENTS . Thus the fuel making  can also  be
well  linked to food , feed , fertilizer too.This interrelated ,cyclic
ecolgical system approach, are very key for the sucess of any sustainable
biofuel process developments.

   We can also imagine simillar  approach  and process can  be made possible
with vegetable oil refinary too , making biodeisel as byproducts  from  major
soya and other oil crop  products.Here  the design problems of  solid state
fermentations of aerobic and  anerobics  biodigestion can be the key system . I
personelly feel after Keith interesting reply here, that the biodigester can be
made  to make all the wastes into fuel ,or feed  or fertelizer.It is like the
flexible car , many input   can be put together to turn into desired products.

   Several simple  low cost composting  system are under operation  with
recycling of microbes very easily  for large scale garbage treatments in
Brasil.If any one need detail we will be ready to send them to apply to
glucerin waste, but not hot composting.How ever hot composting, novel
biodigestion can be combined to recover fertilizer, feed and fuel in order to
make the biofuel process sustainable.
      Some yeast like candida can also accept directly FFA and glycerol growing
fast  in semisolid fermentation  producing biosrfactants, which can be  futher
fermented  and recovered  after hot composting, and noval  biodigestions with
fiberous vegetable materials , making the  system more  flexible . This system
is yet to be experimented, even though look like complex one.
     Any critical analysis of this system  outlined here are  wellcome and I
hope the points raised here  can make a new  road map to  reality of the the
future work.This can be yet with  cock tail approach or refining approach.After
neutralizatation , one may use  diluted cock tails to make  noval
bioproduts.This is very interesting route too.
   But  what are  the best route  and best products ?.May be our KEITH OR TODD
can
help to find this one.Why not all the member of biofuel group too  have brain
storming to come out the best one, not simply leaving this job  to only few.Too
many cooks need not always spoil the  eggs, but can help to  make the eggs
less harmful to all with the hep of the nework and  keith and todd of course.
I am very sorry for this long letter and wish to be very  short in future.

Thanking you all

Sd
Pannirselvam

Keith Addison <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
Hello Todd

>Hello Keith,
>
>We've done a lot of the same work here. Haven't gotten down to the nitty
>gritty of fabricating a Babbington or Turk burner, but we have shipped out
>the soap/glycerin/alcohol/caustic to a company that distributes the Clean
>Burn brand of waste oil boilers and heaters for a test burn.
>
>Results came back positive for the cocktail, as had previous results for
>WVO, Ohio crude straight out of the ground, biodiesel and SVO.
>
>These units are designed to burn waste motor oil, used transmission and
>hydraulic fluids. Largely the same principal as the Babbington - increased
>air supply in the combustion chamber.
>
>We are concerned with a couple of aspects with such industrial models. One
>is their cost, which is out of range of almost anyone in the residential
>sector. Two is the long term corrosive effects of the catalyst portion of
>the cocktail on expensive machinery.

Yes, that's our conclusion too. Someone we know has just scored a
couple of these things for very little because they suddenly became
illegal in that country - they're refurbished etc, and he's going to
use them. I think they're overkill for what most of us are doing. So
I'm dropping that line of inquiry, though I'll stay abreast of what
gets done with these two particular units. For us, for the
unseparated cocktail - milk-carton sawdust logs. We can use those,
but it won't nearly account for our whole production of by-product.

>Those concerns put us right back into a FFA/glycerin recovery mode.

Right.

>At least
>we know that the recovered FFAs can be easily used as a fuel oil component
>due to their low viscosity and the catalyst, recovered as potassium
>phosphate, can be used on local farms or residential landscapes.
>
>That still leaves the glycerin....which, by the way and for purposes of this
>and future conversations, we need to adequately define, label and perhaps
>rename so as to not create confusion between the
>glycerin/soap/alcohol/catalyst cocktail and the recovered glycerin from the
>FFA recovery process.

I've been referring to the glycerin/soap/alcohol/catalyst cocktail as
"by-product", and when I mean glycerine I say "separated glycerine" -
which could be a bit ambiguous, it could be confused with separating
the by-product (the cocktail) from the ester at the end of the
biodiesel production process. I guess we'll just have to make
ourselves clear each time.

>Personally, I favor the recovery of the FFAs and using them as a fuel oil,
>as do I favor the neutralization of the caustic by turning it into
>fertilizer...not "organic", but it's no longer caustic either.

Depends what you do with it. I won't apply it to the soil but I'm
happy to add it to a compost pile. We use one-cubic-metre composting
units here, very intense stuff goes on in there at high heat, it all
ends up in the tissues of some or another beneficial micro-bug, no
problem. (I also just made some special-purpose compost in a flower
pot, only 1/3-cubic ft, it went up to 55 deg C, 130 deg F, stayed
there for four days, and now it's finished - bit of a myth that you
need bulk for hot composting.)

These neutralised salts are just minerals anyway, not exactly Agent
Orange, eh? Nothing you don't find in the soil anyway, but adding
them direct in the pure form throws the soilfood web out of kilter;
pre-composting won't do that, if the ratios are small. Organics
standards? Well, they don't mean anything anymore anyway. I'll do
what I know, thankyou.

>I would tend
>to think that a glycerin cocktail thrown into a digester would tend to
>decimate some of the microbial action, whereas recovered glycerin might not
>effect such a setback in the process.

Yes, I'd agree, though I'd like to know more about that. Pannirselvam
just posted some interesting info on it from Brazil, hope to take it
further.

I'd think it would be a bit like composting - you'd very easily
drench a 1/3-cubic ft flower pot, but not so easily a big pile. It
would be useful to know just how best to handle the cocktail in a
digester, what the limitations would be, as opposed to glyc-FFA, or
just the glyc.

>Of course there is the alcohol fraction of the cocktail whose effects would
>need to be taken into consideration in a digester.

Prior methanol recovery, ie removal, might prove to be more critical
than FFA/catalyst separation.

>I don't know. Maybe there needs to be a methane digester "how to" cookbook
>that also covers the inclusion of glycerin or glycerin cocktail.

There does, I hope that in time between us all we'll manage to
produce such a thing, or something like it.

>You know...once one wheel is made a thousand can be cast from the same mold.
>Certainly would save a lot of duplicated effort across the globe.

Yes - perhaps one of the roles of groups like this one, don't you think?

regards

Keith

Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

http://us.click.yahoo.com/Lj3uPC/Me7FAA/ySSFAA/FGYolB/TM