From: Tim Castleman <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Sent: 06/30/03 01:17 PM
To: biofuel@yahoogroups.com
Subject: [biofuel] Help with some simple numbers?

> Can I get some help with these simple calculations?

US petroleum consumption is 19.65 Million Barrels per day, or about 7
Billion barrels per
year.
(http://www.bts.gov/publications/national_transportation_statistics/2002/htm
l/table_04_01.html)

If we could get 2 barrels (88 gallons) of biofuel from each acre of
farmland, we would need 3.5 Billion acres to meet our demand.

We only have 335 Million acres of Farmland in the US.
(http://www.nrcs.usda.gov/technical/land/meta/m5970.html)

That means that even if we stopped growing food entirely, we would still
come up over 3 BILLION acres short.

If we find a way to get 10 barrels from each acre (440 gallons), we could
nearly cover our consumption, but would have no place to grow any food.

If we find a way to get 20 barrels per acre (880 gallons), we could do it
with about half of the farmland available.

Do these simple numbers look right?

http://us.click.yahoo.com/Lj3uPC/Me7FAA/ySSFAA/FGYolB/TM