>Reading the reasoning behind the two stage process approach it seems to me
>that the benefit lies in the two different equilibrium points (first stage
>mass conversion to biodiesel and second stage the -more or less - 100%
>completion of that conversion). Am I right so far?
>
>If this is correct then I do remember my university time that there were
>two different types of reactors to be used: The batch stirred vessel type
>that is usually described here and the pipe-type where the reactants flow
>through a pipe, ususally in different directions. If I remember right the
>vessel is not good for beeing used in equilibrium state reactions (like
>assumed here) - it should be preferred for quick reactions that easily
>reach the 100% end.
>
>Taking this into account the better reactor type for our biodiesel rection
>would be the pipe. Does anyone have any experience in using a pipe-type
>reactor for producing biodiesel? I think it could easily be built using
>plastic waste water pipes filles with glas or other inert media and mixed
>with pulse-pumps (membrane type for example). It would also have the
>advantage of continuous production....
>
>Any thoughts about this approach?
>

>Andreas Ohnsorge

Hello Andreas

I think this is the wrong way round:

>... (first stage
>mass conversion to biodiesel and second stage the -more or less - 100%
>completion of that conversion).

It's in the second stage that there's mass conversion to biodiesel.
Of course 100% completion is not ever achieved. The goal is to arrive
within the limitations set by the various international standards,
and the processes available to us now are proven to be more than
capable of achieving that.

I think your conclusions about different types of reactors might
apply in laboratory conditions where accurate research results are
important, or in industry at large scale perhaps, but for homebrewers
and small-scale local producers at least, and probably well beyond
that, there isn't any need: the  batch-type stirred and heated
processors now in wide use are cheap, simple and effective.

FYI, there's a continuous reactor design here:
http://journeytoforever.org/biodiesel_processor.html#continuous

Some people we know are working successfully with small-scale
continuous designs but they're not ready to talk about it yet.
Judging by their track record I'd be confident that they'll deliver
the goods in good order in due course. I know there's also been much
ado about continuous reactors at another forum, FWIW, but I haven't
taken any notice, not very interested.

Best wishes

Inkjet cartridges up to 80% off. HP, Epson, Lexmark--we have your brand.
Free shipping on every order to the U.S. and Canada! Excellent service.
http://www.c1tracking.com/l.asp?cid=5510
http://us.click.yahoo.com/QWB0QC/.eUGAA/ySSFAA/FGYolB/TM