I found these stories while doing some research on
Toyota diesel engines. Looks like there may be diesel
Minis on the way! If we can't get Lupos or Polos here
in the US, maybe we can get diesel Minis, since the
Mini is already federalized and meets US crash and
safety regulations. I hope they decide to go for it
and sell these in the US!

http://www.news24.com/Wheels24/News/0,,1369-1372_1233216,00.html
MINI to get Toyota diesel engine

The secret is out - BMW's deal to buy small diesel
engines from Toyota is to power a new version of the
MINI, which will surely make it the most economical
Mini ever!

The secret is out - BMW's deal to buy small diesel
engines from Toyota is to power a new version of the
MINI, which will surely make it the most economical
Mini ever!

BMW and Toyota announced two months ago that the two
motor manufacturers were in talks centred around a new
small diesel - to be fitted in the Toyota Yaris - to
be supplied by Toyota for fitment in a car in the BMW
lineup.

The all-new 1.4-litre direct injection Toyota turbo
diesel will be the first diesel ever fitted in a Mini,
and is expected to draw on technology developed by
Toyota subsidiary Daihatsu. The Daihatsu turbo diesel
produced fuel economy figures below 3 litres/100 km
when fitted in a Daihatsu compact sedan.

A MINI spokesman has admitted: "Negotiations are
underway with Toyota regarding the supply of diesel
engines, but nothing has been finalised."

http://www.news24.com/Wheels24/News/0,,1369-1372_1233035,00.html
Toyota to supply diesels to BMW

Japan's biggest motor manufacturer Toyota has agreed
to start supplying 1.4 litre diesel engines to BMW AG
as early as this autumn, the Nikkan Kogyo Shimbun
industrial daily reported on Thursday.

Japan's biggest motor manufacturer Toyota has agreed
to start supplying 1.4 litre diesel engines to BMW AG
as early as this autumn, the Nikkan Kogyo Shimbun
industrial daily reported on Thursday.

That is earlier than plans reported by local media
last December for Toyota to supply the low-emission
diesel engines to the German carmaker for its
subcompact cars from around 2002.

Toyota, which will install the low-emission diesel
engines in its popular Yaris model in Europe soon, is
likely to supply 1,000 engines monthly to BMW, which
plans to introduce low-emission engines in its
line-up, the newspaper said.

"We are having discussions with several companies
including BMW about possible technological
cooperation, but have not decided on any concrete
plans with BMW," a Toyota spokesman said.

Toyota will initially supply the engines from Japan,
but may later assemble BMW-bound engines at its French
plant if demand increases, the paper said.

Toyota chairman Hiroshi Okuda had said in January the
French plant would begin assembling diesel engines in
2003 for the Yaris model.

The report comes a day after Toyota said it would stop
procuring diesel engines from French carmaker PSA
Peugeot Citroen this autumn for Corolla passenger cars
made at its British plant.

Executive vice president Tadaaki Jagawa said the move
was intended to boost profitability in Toyota's
loss-making European operations.

http://sbc.yahoo.com

Save up to 80% on top-quality inkjet cartridges and get your order fast!
FREE shipping on orders $50 or more to the US & Canada. Shop at Myinks.com!
http://www.c1tracking.com/l.asp?cid=5511
http://us.click.yahoo.com/v2G7ND/KfUGAA/ySSFAA/FGYolB/TM