Seems like about three years ago now that I set out one day to do some research
on the web and find out why there was so little discussion of ethanol use in
fuel cells. To this day, I know of only one company which specifically talks
about it (Medis), and they told me in my discussion with them that there is an
"added ingredient" aspect to their approach.  Also, so far as I know, they're
not yet scaleable for larger apps.

My research yielded not-much.  One researcher made a list of fuels in order of
difficulty of use in fuel cells, and for some reason ethanol was one of the
more-difficult, up around gasoline.  I did not understand why.  One or two sites
did seem to claim the contrary.... that ethanol should not be difficult to
implement in fuel cell use.

These micro fuel cell reports complicate matters because I think they're more or
less DMFC (Direct Methanol Fuel Cells) and it's not clear to me how they use
non-Hydrogen without a reformer, but that would seem to be the case.

But in any event, I'd like to know if others have some idea as to the pros and
cons of using ethanol as a fuel-cell-fuel.  Where it has to be "reformed", is
this overly difficult.  Or can it be used "directly" in some way?

One thing Medis told me is that, while their approach would allow the use of
Methanol or Ethanol, it is Ethanol which is allowed on airplanes and in other
areas, whereas Methanol is not.  This may not seem like a big deal, but this
Methanol drawback was listed in one of the news stories today.

Another thing I learned at a conference awhile back is the importance of
precious metals to many of these fuel cells, and the fact that this holds them
back somewhat in terms of price.  This lesson seems to be born out in the latest
news reports.  Just as catalytic converter researchers had to figure out ways to
use the least possible amount of expensive precious materials in their devices,
so too with fuel cell makers.  In some cases, those inolved with catalytic
converters have also gotten involved with fuel cells, using their expertise in
coating efficiently and so forth.

At the same conference, it was discussed that the smallest devices might be the
first, or among the first, where folks would get fuel cells.  This economic
prediction seems to be born out a little.  Early-adopter-types might pay a bit
extra for a cell phone or laptop that can go longer.

MM

On Thu, 10 Jul 2003 14:55:13 -0600, you wrote:

>Part of it, I think, is that Methanol has a slightly higher Hydrogen density
>than Ethanol.  This would could to a higher efficiency, for the amount of
>fuel used.  Let me think CH30H ( Methanol ) 4 out of 6 atoms ( 2/3rds ) are
>Hydrogen and C2H5OH ( Ethanol ) 6 out of 9 (also 2/3rds ) are Hydrogen so
>that may not be it.
>
>Let's look at the end products .... 2CH3OH + AIR  ---> 2CO2 + 4H2O + Energy
>or... 2C2H5OH + Air ---> 4CO2 + 6H2O + Energy  ( the biggest problem is I
>don't have the math to figure out the energy produced, because in part it
>depends on the efficiency of the fuel cell ), So for Methanol to produce the
>same amount of CO2 that Ethanol produces, you would have to use double the
>amount, or 4 more Hydrogen atoms which in turn ( with all other things being
>equal ) has the potential of producing more energy for a given amount of
>CO2.
>
>If someone finds a mistake in my math please let me know.
>
>Greg H.

Free shipping on all inkjet cartridge & refill kit orders to US & Canada.
We have your brand: HP, Epson, Lexmark, Canon & more.
http://www.c1tracking.com/l.asp?cid=5510
http://us.click.yahoo.com/kP..SB/49VGAA/ySSFAA/FGYolB/TM