Hello Aidan and Edward

Last summer (winter for you) time I sent to a mechanic shop my
Fiat UNO DS with a model 127 A, 1.3 L diesel engine. It has his
piston rings and valve seats damaged by dust and mud of
my countryside roads.

After they finish, I had a milder problem like you describe, with oil level at
its maximun,
the engine sometimes ran wild but not too much with lot of white
smoke when I step hard on the accelerator pedal and the oil
consuption was 1 litre in 100 Km  (:-o

I had the same feelings about the shop mechanic like you Aidan.

I solved the problem after I added a screen wire in the exhaust duct from
the engine block to the air intake. It was the mist of oil that produce
the problem, after that, oil consuption was nill to the next oil change.

The mechanic fault was that he forgot the add a screen on that duct,
the original spare part was not available locally.

I hope this helps.

Best Regards,

Juan

---------