Hi Keith,
I don't know for sure whether it is FFA's or something else ( BD ? ), but
the color is black and the BD is goldish, so I think it must be FFA's.

> How do you know it's FFAs? The glycerine layer can continue to "leak"
> small amounts of biodiesel for some time after the process.
>
> >I expected at least half of the lot being FFA's, so I have been looking
for
> >the separation at about 50% of the volume. I don't find any NaOH at the
> >bottom.
> >My conclusion is, that the bottomlayer of the BD process is almost 100%
> >glycerine.
>
> I'm afraid I'm left wondering quite what the top layer might be,
> considering what follows.
>
> >I use 3.5 grams of lye and 150 ml methanol in the process and do not
> >titrate.
>
> Not enough lye for WVO and 25ml excess methanol (12.5% stoich for
> soy) is unlikely to be enough, especially at such low temps for only
> three hours.
>
> >The mixing takes two or three hours, just to make sure that the whole
> >reaction has taken place.
>
> Hm.
>
> >Temperature is 15¡ C or a bit more.
>
> 40 more would be better.
>
> >The oil I use is WVO ( soya ), which has been used for one or two days
>
> That doesn't mean much Pieter, it could be lightly used or very
> heavily used. Used for how many hours, at what temperature?

The oil has been used for about 20 hours all together at 140¡ C.
> >bake fish in.
>
> So it also has some fish oil in it.
>
> >After processing, I let it stand for a week or more.
>
> Before separating the biodiesel from the glycerin layer? Or do you
> remove the glycerine layer first? What proportion of the total is the
> glycerine layer? Is it usually solid or liquid? What colour?

I don't separate BD and glycerin layer. I just siphon ( is that the right
word ? ) the BD from the top of the lot, every time I need some BD, untill I
reach the bottom. The glycerin layer is about 15% of the total volume. Not
really solid and not liquid. Somewhere inbetween solid and liquid. The color
is black. After treating it whith phosphoric acid, the color turns a little
bit lighter. The color of the top layer is black.
> >I don't wash the BD (
> >not that I recommend this way of working, but in my case it works OK ).
> >The pH of the BD is just over 7.
>
> Have you ever tried washing your biodiesel? I'd be interested to know
> what happens. Will you try this? Put 150 ml of your biodiesel in a
> half-litre glass jar, add 150 ml of water (preferably distilled water
> if you have it, or just tap water if not), screw the lid on tight,
> and shake it up and down violently for 10 seconds or more. Tell us
> what happens next.

Surprised about what happened : 3 layers. The top layer must be BD ( same
color as it always is ), and than a rather thick layer of white flaky stuf,
and a layer of troubled water. pH of the BD layer is still just over 7 (
measured with litmus paper ).

http://www.c1tracking.com/l.asp?cid=5511