Pannir from Brazil  wrote :

  H2S seperation  is very interesting problem , that can  removed by mild
alkali  using biologicla treatments  in photobioreactor by well estabelished
industrail  Thiopack process.. this route is more simple and natural one than
photo catalytical process where pure sulpher can be recovered.

         Keith recent work about stove is a novel inovative work with secondary
air supply  , which our design group is also trying to do. We feel that small
amount  of charcoal with vegetable oil or alcohol can improve  the starting
problems. We feel that secondary air supply  at the top as per REED origional
work and forced  air suply  at the top is can make  thermal effeiciency  to
improved a lot as nearly 10 times of air are needed in a shorter time and with
no emission problems too.Here in brasil , the biomass waste comes to 85 porcent
, may be highest in the world  together with the bigest gap between poor and
rich.
    In this respect we try to transfer tecnology to rural area, but  most
prefer the city  because of lack of simple tecnologies  like one that of keitk
, small , apropriate , acessible.

             Is any one know apropriate tecnolgy for sludge biosolid
processing ?

robert luis rabello <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

Keith Addison wrote:

>  How about this then? Seems to tie it all together - poop of various
> ilk and the utilization thereof, along with hydrogen, Japan, and all
> the fish (but not Detroit):
>
> http://www.japanfs.org/db/database.cgi?cmd=dp&num=455&UserNum=&Pass=&A
>
> dminPass=&dp=data_e.html
> Japan for Sustainability
>
> New Development in Sendai to Create Hydrogen from Sewage Sludge

    When feeding on a sugar solution in an anaerobic environment, the
bacteria normally responsible for producing methane will instead make
hydrogen.  I have done this experiment before and I know it works.  For
those of us who cannot do ethanol distillation because of legal issues,
this may be an alternative method to make some fuel.

> Tom Reed's BEF stove is pretty good, except for the batteries. Well,
> it's still pretty good, and pretty useful in poor countries even with
> the batteries, but it could go further if it didn't need them.

    I have a solar panel powered battery charger that can easily
displace the battery on my stove.  Of course, it only works when the sun
shines, but with such a charger, the stove can be operated in the
darkness with the use of recharged NiCad or NiMH batteries

> spent some time with the good folks on the Stoves list at CREST (oft
> frequented by Tom) trying to find a battery-free solution - for
> instance, how would you go about getting the heat of the stove to
> drive an air-supply fan? Didn't get anywhere with it though. Best
> offer was a clockwork fan. Second-best was a sort of party-pooper
> cushion or whatever it's called, filled with air, that the cook sat
> on while cooking, thus providing a steady stream of air for the stove
> until the cushion deflated.

    I've experiemented with various tin can stoves.  My favorite one
consists of two cans creating an elbow, fitted into a larger can with
holes drilled into the bottom for smoke  to escape.  A "shelf" in the
horizontal part of the elbow allows air to feed the fire from below once
a pan is placed on the top of the large can, and the same "shelf"
enables the stove to be fueled continuously once it's lit.  This design
works well once it gets hot, but it's not that easy to get started.  I
once used such a "stove" on a trip into the mountains with friends.
With a single match and a handful of small twigs I could heat an entire
meal.  My friend built a huge bonfire and lit it with gasoline to get it
started.  He laughed at me, but I was shaking my head at him. . .  (I'm
from California, and I'm VERY LEERY of fire in wild places!)

> I did get this far though, and some
> aspects of this design have been taken up elsewhere:
>
> http://journeytoforever.org/teststove.html
> Cookstove for schools: Journey to Forever

    This looks like a decent attempt, I would say.

>  Tom once said about 25% of the
> science of these IDD gasifier stoves is known, and IMO there's a long
> way to go before they're widely applied. We're working on other
> answers, different approaches, quite promising.

    Yes, he's pretty clever about this topic.  (I used to subscribe to
both "stoves" and "gasification".  I learned a lot in those forums, but
most of the talk was simply beyond my understanding.)

> Anyway, Robert, please don't be deterred by your better half's
> rolling eyes nor by sci.energy.hydrogen's goldfishism. Don't forget,
> they laughed at Isaac Newton (or was it Alfred Neuman?).

    My childhood hero was Robert Goddard.  Many scientists of his day
ridiculed his work in rocketry, but he solved all of the major problems
with liquid fueled rockets long before the Luftwaffe began lobbing V 2s
at London.   I wouldn't consider myself worthy of mention in the same
sentence with him!

> Fine
> critters, goldfish.

    Perhaps, but they're not known for their intellect!

robert luis rabello
"The Edge of Justice"
Adventure for Your Mind
http://www.1stbooks.com/bookview/9782