I heard from a small producer that it is actually "illegal" to mix the
lye and methanol as you technically get a bio-weapon...
Sodium-Meth-hydroxide.  They noted it was apparently used in WW1 as a
low end chemical weapon.  Anybody heard that or worried about this?  THE
MAN gonna come down and shut you down as you don't have an expensive
license to make all this stuff?  Also wondering how many people actually
use a resporator or just rely on good ventilation.  How much exposer
will lead to bleeding ulcers of the thorax..? Any? Lots?  If I set up a
still in my basement, would the vapors be noticable if I had an exhaust
system set up to blow out the basement window while mixing?  My garage
is uninsulated and unheated and so making anything out in that would
involve a good deal of weatherizing.  Any thoughts on basement vs garage
processors?

Just wondering.

- Paul
Burlington, VT