   From: "Fred Finch" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Fwd: FW: Feeling Patriotic?

My father-in-law tried that "I'm-a-vet-so-what-I-think-counts-more-
than-what-you-think" garbage with me one time.  Granted he did serve
in WWII and I do appreciate it.  However on the day that he pulled
his "I'm-a-Vet" line on me I was ready to put it in perspective for
him.

This occurred during the Clinton "Oral office" incident.  My father-
in-law said that as a vet that "Draft-Dodging-Dirtbag should be
tossed out of office!"  I told him that I thought the whole affair
was laughable at best but impeachment was an overreaction.

Well, his opinion was that since he served his country that he put
the time in so his opinion should count more than mine.  To which I
responed  "How does that work, if you served you get to vote in
elections more than once?"

It made him think of what he was saying beyond the issue we were
talking about for a moment.  He now is very careful about bringing up
political personalities.  If his most hated liberal of the day does
something that seems unsavory, a right-wing zealot gets exposed as a
hypocrite.

fred

--- In biofuel@yahoogroups.com, Keith Addison <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> Hello Sid
>
> >>In a message dated 1/4/2004 12:04:04 PM Pacific Standard Time,
> >>[EMAIL PROTECTED] writes:
> >>[EMAIL PROTECTED]
> >>Hello All:
> >>
> >>As a US Veteran (Purple Heart) I fully support your freedom of
communicating
> >>your perspective is speach or letters. l do not however, fully
agree with
> >>what you
> >>wrote.
> >>
> >>Best regards,
> >>
> >>Clouston Energy Research, LLC
> >>Sidney Clouston
>
> It's a bit puzzling. First, Gustl didn't write it, he forwarded it
> (clearly marked as such). Jennifer Sellers wrote it. Second, of
> course you're welcome to disagree, but then you should say why you
> disagree, and perhaps offer some alternative view or information.
> Otherwise there's no discussion and nothing goes forward. The only
> apparent reason for your disagreement that you've offered is that
> you're a US Veteran (Purple Heart). That's no reason at all, as
Todd
> said. Why would the opinion of a US veteran carry any special
weight
> in such issues? Especially on an international list like this one.
> I'd say it's irrelevant. You admit something similar - a veteran
> needn't necessarily be right, and needn't necessarily be wrong
either:

> >... It would be wrong to think that any Veteran
> >by virtue being a Veteran has all truth to say without being
analyzed for
> >valid aspects if any. Conversely, being a Veteran does not
preclude
> >any veracity.
>
> Just like anyone else.
>
> Anyway, many US veterans would agree with Jennifer Sellers, many
say
> similar things, write similar articles and post them on the
Internet.
> As Gustl did - Gustl is himself a US veteran. Would you fully agree
> with this, for instance? (There are plenty more instances.)
>
> http://www.lefthook.org/Politics/Seidman3%20111103.html
> An Interview with Stan Goff
> Stan Goff knows better than most people about what really goes on
in
> the US military. He served from 1970 through 1996, for many years
as
> a Master Sergeant with the Special Forces and Delta Force and as a
> military instructor at West Point. In the process of his military
> career he was deployed to Vietnam, South Korea, Colombia, El
> Salvador, Grenada, Guatemala, Honduras, Panama, Peru, Venezuela,
> Somalia, and Haiti. Retired, he is now an anti-imperialist activist
> and founder of Bring Them Home Now (www.bringthemhomenow.org). He
is
> the author of Hideous Dream: A Soldier's Memoir of the US Invasion
of
> Haiti, as well as the forthcoming Full Spectrum Disorder. He lives
in
> Raleigh, NC.
> [more]
>
> >It is in the interest of better understanding that I return
comments.

> You haven't said anything yet except that you don't fully agree.
>
> Best wishes
>
> Keith
>

> >Dear Fellows and Friends:
> >
> >It is in the interest of better understanding that I return
comments.  First
> >off
> >a correction in my name which if observed closely one would notice
only
> >one "y" in it as I spelled it.  Please correct your records Mr.
Swearingen.

> > >Guess that's easy to understand Sydney. Your voice is but one of
260 some
> > >odd million (in the US). There's bound to be a few people in
such a lot who
> > >think, believe and see things differently.
> >
> >Here I fully agree, as I learned in college philosophy of the many
fallacies
> >of
> >reasoning one may be in error in.  One fallacy is "Argumentum ad
Hominem"
> >(Latin for argument against the man).  It would be wrong to think
that any
> >Veteran
> >by virtue being a Veteran has all truth to say without being
analyzed for
> >valid aspects
> >if any.  Conversely, being a Veteran does not preclude any
veracity.  I
> >suggest as
> >many thousands of Philosophers against the many fallacies of
reasoning, so we

> >ought to examine the specific conclusions or premises for validity
perhaps
> >being
> >weak or strong if valid at all.
> >
> > >However, being a veteran or having received a purple heart is
not the
> > >qualifiier of one stream of thought or another. There are, after
all,
> > >numerous veterans who echo the sentiments you disagree with. No
doubt many
> > >are also recipients of a purple heart..., or two.
> >
> >Where do I differ from your esteemed views? Will you please be
specific?

> >Best regards,
> >Sid.
> >
> >PS  I do like the Biodiesel concepts.
>

> >>In a message dated 1/4/2004 12:04:04 PM Pacific Standard Time,
> >>[EMAIL PROTECTED] writes:
> >>[EMAIL PROTECTED]
> >>Hello All:
> >>
> >>As a US Veteran (Purple Heart) I fully support your freedom of
communicating
> >>your perspective is speach or letters. l do not however, fully
agree with
> >>what you
> >>wrote.
> >>
> >>Best regards,