   Date: Sun, 04 Jan 2004 17:03:39 -0800
   From: murdoch <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Re-insurer counts cost of global warming

Your post reminds me of last year's controversy over
the Pentagon or some intelligence community attempting
to set up futures trading based on betting on
terrorism and such events, the link being that if
folks' money is on the line in a futures trading
format, there is a track record to indicate (the
reasoning goes) that such bets have predictive value
over other prediction systems.

In any event, in the case of insurance, I question if
some of the rise in disaster costs corresponds, in
part, to a rise in insurance use and not, in itself,
to a rise in disasters.  I.e., if more folks are
paying for insurance and filing claims, then this, in
itself, would not indicate a rise in
warming-related-disasters.  This is not to say there
mightn't be a rise in disasters, only to question what
other factors might also contribute to the rise in
claims.

To visit your group on the web, go to: