Fwd from the Community Food Security Coalition
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, FYI. Press release attachment
included in message, below. - Keith

>From: "Sean McGovern, SARE Outreach" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
>To: Community Food Security Coalition <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
>Subject: New Resource: Building a Sustainable Business
>Date: Tue, 13 Jan 2004 15:10:30 -0500
>

>Dear Friends:
>
>I am writing on behalf of the Sustainable Agriculture Network (SAN), the
>national outreach arm of the Sustainable Agriculture Research and Education
>(SARE) program. SARE is funded by the Cooperative State Research, Education,
>and Extension Service (CSREES), USDA, and works with producers, researchers,
>and educators to promote farming systems that are profitable,
>environmentally sound, and good for communities. For more information about
>grants and other resources available through SARE, please visit
>www.sare.org.
>
>I'm attaching a press release for our newly released Business Planning
>Guide, as well as posting a short descriptive text file on it below. Any
>promotional assistance you can provide would be greatly appreciated.
>
>Thanks for your time.  Please don't hesitate to contact me should you have
>any questions.
>
>-----
>Building a Sustainable Business: A Guide to Developing a Business Plan for
>Farms and Rural Businesses brings the business planning process alive to
>help today's alternative and sustainable agriculture entrepreneurs transform
>farm-grown inspiration into profitable enterprises. Sample worksheets
>illustrate how real farm families set goals, determined potential markets
>and evaluated financing options - and help the reader develop a detailed
>business plan. To order Building a Sustainable Business, send $14 plus $3.95
>s/h to Sustainable Agriculture Publications, 210 Hills Building, University
>of Vermont, Burlington, VT 05405-0082. Credit card and discounted volume
>orders may be placed by calling 802/656-0484. Preview it online at:
>http://www.sare.org/publications.  (280 pp, Wire-bound)
>
>Regards,
>
>Sean McGovern
>Sustainable Agriculture Network
>PO Box 82234
>Columbus, Ohio 43202
>614/306-6422
>fx: 614/421-2011
>http://www.sare.org
>[EMAIL PROTECTED]

News Release

For Immediate Release:
        Contact: Sean McGovern
1/10/2004
        Phone: 614/306-6422

        Email: [EMAIL PROTECTED]

New Resource Helps Farmers Forge Success and Sustainability

Beltsville, MD: Responding to keen interest from farmers and ranchers
in developing new production and marketing alternatives, the
Sustainable Agriculture Network (SAN) recently released a
user-friendly publication to help producers develop goal-oriented
business plans for farms and rural businesses. Published in
collaboration with the Minnesota Institute for Sustainable
Agriculture, Building a Sustainable Business brings the business
planning process alive and transforms farm-grown inspirations into
profitable enterprises.

Building a Sustainable Business: A Guide to Developing a Business
Plan for Farms and Rural Businesses includes blank worksheets and
step-by-step strategies for developing a detailed, lender-ready
business plan to take advantage of new opportunities, such as:

l  Organic Farming      l       Agri-tourism
l  On-farm Processing   l       Alternative Crops
l  Direct Marketing     l       Adding Value

"This guide is a terrific resource for producers seeking to develop a
sound plan for a sustainable agricultural business," said Damona
Doye, Extension Economist, Oklahoma State University.  "It is
reader-friendly and thought-provoking."

The 280-page publication follows farmers Dave and Florence Minar
through a major transition on their Minnesota dairy farm. The
experiences of the Minars and five other farm families lend a
real-life perspective, illustrating how they researched alternatives,
determined potential markets and evaluated financing options.

To order Building a Sustainable Business, send $14 plus $3.95 s/h to
Sustainable Agriculture Publications, 210 Hills Building, University
of Vermont, Burlington, VT 05405-0082. Credit card and discounted
volume orders may be placed by calling 802/656-0484. Preview the
publication online at http://www.sare.org/publications.

Editors: Review copies available upon request. Contact Sean McGovern (above).

Building a Sustainable Business was published by the Sustainable
Agriculture Network (SAN) for the Sustainable Agriculture Research
and Education (SARE) program. SARE is funded by the Cooperative State
Research, Education, and Extension Service (CSREES), USDA, and works
with producers, researchers, and educators to promote farming systems
that are profitable, environmentally sound, and good for communities.
SAN operates under Cooperative Agreement with CSREES to develop and
disseminate information about sustainable agriculture. For more
information about grant opportunities and other resources, visit
www.sare.org.

###

To visit your group on the web, go to: