Go Hoff wrote:

> Is it the groups general census that Bosh is not consumer friendly - but
> worse that they seem to have the monopoly on the diesel/SVO/WVO pumps we
> need? So far I've got to agree.
>
> I have written and telephoned, mailed and faxed all the Bosh leads I could
> find here (sweden) enquiring if there is or was a Bosh pump which could
> replace the Lucas CAV crap that my favorite vehicle is lumbered with.
>
> I have been passed like the buck all over or just ignored to date and I am
> no wiser - zilch.
>
> An old retired pump expert I met said 'yes, if there wasn't a specific then
> choose what you want and combine a few bits to get the combo you want, re do
> some fittings maybe' though he dos'nt have the bits or contacts anymore.
>
> I'm wondering if there are other pump manufacturors or engineering ventures
> who might be keen to get in on a growing nisch market and make a pupose
> built bullet proof pump which would fit onto any number of face plates, a
> sort of universal pump with plates for different fits - I mean there must be
> more of us around now than eg. Ed Pink and Kieth Black base their businesses
> on (Top fuel Drag racing) and they're doing OK last I heard. Then there is
> OEM replacement market and...........

 From what I understand, the Bosch pumps are close to what you're
talking about.  The VE pumps, particularly, are in practically every 4
cylinder diesel built in the last 20 years, right up the the advent of
common rail injection systems.  All it really takes is minor changes to
output fittings, drive systems, and mounts, and the VE pumps can be made
to fit pretty much anything.  I've heard somebody say something about a
"VM" pump, but I haven't been able to find anything on it.  There's also
a VR pump, which is basically a VE with some electronic control involved.

The VE type pumps are usually used in 4 and 5 cylinder engines.  From
what I've seen of GM products, they use a Stanadyne rotary pump similar
to a Bosch VE, but set up for 8 cylinders.

Engines with more than 5 cylinders usually use inline pumps, because
when you get a VE pump for more than 5 cylinders the main shaft has to
oscillate too fast, and the pumps tend to wear out quickly.

Just look at the Stanadyne pumps in GM products.  From what I understand
the general rule is that you'll replace the pump every 80,000 miles or
so.  The Bosch PE inline pumps used on Cummins and Mercedes products
will last practically forever, from what I understand.

AP

To visit your group on the web, go to: